Tomatis - neurosensory stimulation

I have recently had an Occupational Therapy assessment done with my 14yr old to see if it can help us identify what can help her in school. There was a lot of useful information but the general theme is that we need to learn how to regulate before we can implement more practical things.

they recommended a treatment called Tomatis which provides neurosensory stimulation to improve brain function, through bone stimulation with music on headphones.  It’s a long treatment and fairly costly - just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or if I’m being convinced to shell out money!

thanks in advance 

Parents
  • they recommended a treatment called Tomatis which provides neurosensory stimulation to improve brain function, through bone stimulation with music on headphones.

I did some digging on Tomatis and have found fairly little peer reviewed research which is concusive.

One research article ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7173755/ ) points out the lack of research but I note that was in 2011 says it remains very much at an early experimental stage and Given the lack of evidence that auditory integration training (AIT) or other sound therapies are effective as a treatment for autism, future research is discouraged. 

Searching for more about the subject mostly brings up companies who benefit from selling the high cost treatments rather than quality scientific studies.

For me this leaves Tomatis in the snake oil category of treatment until proven othewise.

If anyone has more recent peer-reviewed research to read then I would be happy to review this opinion.

• they recommended a treatment called Tomatis which provides neurosensory stimulation to improve brain function, through bone stimulation with music on headphones.

I did some digging on Tomatis and have found fairly little peer reviewed research which is concusive.

One research article ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7173755/ ) points out the lack of research but I note that was in 2011 says it remains very much at an early experimental stage and Given the lack of evidence that auditory integration training (AIT) or other sound therapies are effective as a treatment for autism, future research is discouraged. 

Searching for more about the subject mostly brings up companies who benefit from selling the high cost treatments rather than quality scientific studies.

For me this leaves Tomatis in the snake oil category of treatment until proven othewise.

If anyone has more recent peer-reviewed research to read then I would be happy to review this opinion.

Children
No Data