Pain

How does autism affect pain? 

Chloe, my daughter, now 18!! hurt her right wrist during a meltdown in school 2 weeks ago. She has been in a lot of pain (but bear in mind, she has a high pain tolerance). It's probably the second time in seen her cry in pain. She took herself to hospital a week after (hospitals have traumatised her so for her to take herself to hospital shows how much pain she must of been in). They x-rayed it and said it's not broken or fractured. 

They didn't say what was wrong but to wear a wrist support and a sling. She has diagnosed herself with a Grade 3 sprain, which I believe she has sprained it. 

Paracetamol and ibuprofen did nothing for her so she is now on ibuprofen mixed codeine, which she says is helping a bit. 

She is wearing the wrist support but the sling tends to stay round her neck, not supporting her wrist. People have signed her sling, hoping it encourages her to wear it. 

But I hear that autistic people experience pain differently so I was hoping people could explain how it effects them? 

Thanks 

Lucy 

Parents Reply Children
No Data