Using words as stimming?

I’m a new parent to a newly diagnosed autistic son. So im

really hoping for some advice. He is 11 and has severe anxiety. 

my question is has any other parent experienced their child shouting inappropriate words? I’ve noticed when he is anxious, happy or overwhelmed he will shout not some nice words some can be swearing some can be sexual and he seems to make up little rhymes and shout them out and repeat them.

i have tired explaining that some of the words should not be used but it doesn’t make a difference. I know he has heard these words from friends at school but he is still very young minded for his age and doesn’t actually get that the words he says are inappropriate.

im at a loss of how to handle it and if it’s a common trait in autistic children? Sometimes when he is overwhelmed there is no calming the words I have to let him get it all out

thank you 

Parents
  • Sounds like it could be Tourette's syndrome? Which can be an extension of autism. 

Autistic children will appear to mature slower than their peers socially due to a language difference. But in reality, we simply learn and grow in different ways. However, because we're just not wired as well for Left-lobe social linguistics, there is a great deal of social nuance we miss. words can be utility rather than symbolic. If we see a peer using a word, we won't catch the seemingly invisible language with it, just the external action and reaction in that moment, so we won't have the full context for how and when it's used. To note, we might be much better with creative right-brain thinking. 

Anxiety can be biological for Autistics, as there been a great deal of study on how we develop with less inhibition neurologically. (GABA) This means the mechanism responsible for a sense of calm, or inhibiting out of control-excited thinking  is weakened  This same mechanism is responsible for gut balance, for filtering out sensory perception and all sorts. While I've found a nootropics supplement with Lion's Mane to help boost this, it has had to be part of my diet as a lifestyle. I've been taking these for nearly 15 years and they really help. On the occasion when something is really exciting and looping (I sometimes can't stop symphonic loops or immersion in everything needed for artistic projects), I will opt for medical grade anti-anxiety drug for an extra boost, help which friends who are epileptics might take daily.

• Thank you for replying. I have never thought it could be TS as they are always in sentences where as I thought TS were one words I will have more of a look into that to see if there’s any other information. Thank you for all the information you have provided 

• Thank you for replying. I have never thought it could be TS as they are always in sentences where as I thought TS were one words I will have more of a look into that to see if there’s any other information. Thank you for all the information you have provided 

Children
No Data