Fear of dogs

Hello, I'm hoping you may be able to help advise us. Our 6 year old son has always been wary of dogs but over the past few months his fear has got to the point where we are struggling to do anything for fear of bumping into a dog which is frequently. He gets really distressed and freezes and there is nothing we can do to calm him. Does anyone have any advice on what we can do to help him as currently it has meant that we are struggling to go out. Thanks so much

Parents
  • I don't have children, but have been scared of dogs since I was pounced on and knocked over by a German shepherd when I was 7 or 8.

Keep it practical, and point out areas of safety. The leash, that looks like a rope, between the dog and the person keeps you safe because it means the person will keep the dog nearby them.  When a dog approaches you, stand still to keep safe. If, after a few moments you still feel safe, move one of your hands palm up towards the dog so you can show it you are not hiding anything and it can smell you. Don't be surprised if the dog's wet nose, or wet tongue touch your hand, as that means it likes you, is curious, and wants to say 'hello'. Approach all dogs with caution (after all they have teeth and strong jaws, not all dogs have caring minders), and if you feel unsafe, stand still kind of hunched in. The dog will lose interest.

This is how I learned to cope with it.

• I don't have children, but have been scared of dogs since I was pounced on and knocked over by a German shepherd when I was 7 or 8.

Keep it practical, and point out areas of safety. The leash, that looks like a rope, between the dog and the person keeps you safe because it means the person will keep the dog nearby them.  When a dog approaches you, stand still to keep safe. If, after a few moments you still feel safe, move one of your hands palm up towards the dog so you can show it you are not hiding anything and it can smell you. Don't be surprised if the dog's wet nose, or wet tongue touch your hand, as that means it likes you, is curious, and wants to say 'hello'. Approach all dogs with caution (after all they have teeth and strong jaws, not all dogs have caring minders), and if you feel unsafe, stand still kind of hunched in. The dog will lose interest.

This is how I learned to cope with it.

Children
No Data