At what age your autistic child starts talking or communicating with you ?

Hi everyone . 

my child is almost four now .. and he speaks with few words and two words sentence . However, he knows all the right words and speaks like singing and sometimes he ask for things politely like “green ball please “ . I also speak to him like he understands me when I gave him something I ask him to say thank you and I talk to him like he can answer me . 

I believe he is recording at this point lol , and I am hopeful one day he will speak and communicate. My question is , at what age did your autistic child start speaking? How has their speech developed since then? What strategies have you found to be effective in supporting their communication skills and overall progress?

Parents
  • Reframe your understanding of what communication is, your child is communicating regardless of whether they use speech. They may just be waiting for you to join them.

One way to get insight into your autistic child's communication is to observe or alternatively engage in parallel play.

• Thank you for your reply . Yes we communicate well to gather through singing and I understand him well without even one word. But I needed to know how can I encourage him to use words to communicate and express himself. Also there is a lot of autistic children who start using words and phrases after certain age. 

• Yes we communicate well to gather through singing and I understand him well without even one word.

That’s great! Many autistic children are Gestalt language processors which means processing chunks or sentences instead of developing language through single words.

Does your child have a favourite show or song?

If so, what about repeating lines of songs or the characters phrases to them? This could encourage language and speech development.

This article below may be useful for you in regards to how your child processes language:

https://littlepuddins.ie/gestalt-language-processing-terms/#

I hope this helps!

• Yes! And we sing it together repeatedly every day!! . He also loves to put letters  together and he creates sentences with correct spelling . 
    I will continue doing that with him for sure 

thanks for your help. 

Does your child have a favourite show or song?
Reply Children
No Data