Working at a much younger age

My seven year old Son has Autism but although he is challenged by it he isn’t. severley challenged by his Autism. He is verbal but has Speech and language delays interacts well with his cousin who is two but has advanced speech and language.  We don’t know what level my Son is working at as he’s school doesn’t record their devrlopmental age but my Sister said he could be working at a two year old level but slowly catch up. Could this happen? 

Parents
  • This is not a helpful answer I'm afraid, but anything is possible. You can ask school for guidance on where he might be although they might not officially record developmental ages. Or do you see the paediatrician for meetings and might be able to ask them? 

• This is not a helpful answer I'm afraid, but anything is possible. You can ask school for guidance on where he might be although they might not officially record developmental ages. Or do you see the paediatrician for meetings and might be able to ask them? 

Children
  • He is due to see his peadiatrician who is different to the one who assessed his developmental age originally and pre his autism diagnosis. He last had a face to face assement in 2019.  He has had two telephone reviews  since 2020. His school now I don’t think assess developmental  age but his previous school did. He’s school now is Special needs and they say that learning wise he is making very good progress and could potentially make even more with more support in school. In Mainstream unless someone actuality worked with him and worked closely with him,ie his 1:1 who left unfortunately, they wouldn’t see he could make good  progress.with the right support. they  just say he is too far behind his peers and working way below his age.