This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Guide to the National Autistic Society Parent to Parent (P2P) Emotional Support Helpline

The National Autistic Society Parent to Parent (P2P) Emotional Support helpline is a UK-wide confidential telephone service which provides emotional support (via a one off phone call) to parents and carers of autistic children (which includes grown up children).

The service is provided by volunteers who are all parents of autistic people. Because of their experience with their own families, they can relate to what parents are going through. They offer empathy,understanding and an opportunity to talk through feelings and experiences (we are unable to provide face to face support, scheduled appointments, or clinical advice about autism,diagnosis or behaviour).

Who can get help from the National Autistic Society’s Parent to Parent Helpline?
The helpline is available to parents and carers of autistic children (including grown up children) who are living in the UK. We are here to give emotional support to parents and carers whose children have a diagnosis of autism, are awaiting a diagnostic assessment and those with identified signs of autism, for whom a diagnostic assessment may be helpful.

The Call
Parents receive a one-off call from a volunteer which normally lasts up to 45 minutes. Calls take place between 9.00 am and 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday. We are unable to schedule calls. Parents can indicate on the referral form whether they want to permit us to leave a voicemail. If permission is granted, volunteers will leave a voicemail when a parent does not answer the call, to say they are calling from Parent to Parent and they will call again after 5 minutes.
Quite often this call is the first time, parents have a chance to share what they are going through with another parent of an autistic person. The volunteer gives the parent space to talk and encouragement if they need it. They support the parent in identifying key issues and possible support strategies.

Follow Up Email
Volunteers send all parents a follow up email with links to resources and information from the National Autistic Society on topics such as anxiety, bullying or sensory issues. The volunteer and parent will discuss what information may be useful to the family.

Requesting a call
If you would like a call, please click the link at the bottom of this thread. The waiting time for a call is up to 20 working days.

Parents who have called Parent to Parent have told us:
“It was nice to talk to someone who understands and doesn't try to fix things.”
“I can't believe she was a volunteer. She handled the call so professionally. She was a great listener,thinking all the time and really empathising with both me and my daughter. Such a valuable call. I'm so grateful.”
“It's good to be building better knowledge and understanding that I can use in the future”.
“It helped to know you are not alone and someone understands.”
“I know you don't know me, but you said the right words, I will always remember this call".
“Wow, so much information is available, had I not contacted Parent to Parent I would not have known”.

The National Autistic Society Parent to Parent Emotional Support Helpline: https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/help-and-support/parent-to-parent-helpline