Advice Needed: GP will not provide Fit (Sick) Note for my son's Universal Credit Claim.

I am a single parent in receipt of Income Support in my own right. My son turned twenty in January and so was naturally removed from my claim. He has an EHCP, he has attended SEN schools all his life, and now attends an SEN college. Upon his removal from my claim, I have started a claim for Universal Credit on his behalf. I am his appointee for both this claim, and his P.I.P claim. He has only ever had to attend his "Standard Identity" interview, and today I attended his "First Commitments" interview. While there I spoke with both his Work Coach and the Disability Employment Advisor.

Now here is where I am stumped. They are insisting I need a Medical Certificate from my son's GP. My son's GP is telling me that they do not provide these for ASD. All they would provide me with is a print out of a synopsis of his medical records. Universal Credit will not accept this, and will not issue me a "Work Capacity Assessment" form unless I provide a fit note, my GP will not ... and so on, and so forth! 

I have called the main Universal Credit line for advice and they have told me the same as the Job Centre Plus. I have wrote e-mail after e-mail to his Social Worker who does not know how to tell me and advised me to call the Citizens Advice Benefits Advice line. I spoke to these before I made the UC claim. They told me the same as the JCP and UC line. I need a fit note.

So my questions are as follows:
1. How do I proceed to the point where I can trigger the UC system to allow me to fill in a WCA form without a fit note being provided?
2. How do I go about securing the elusive fit note in order to progress his claim?

I have even e-mailed my local councillor (bcc. in my M.P just for good measure) but to no avail. My next appointment with his Work Coach is on 29th March, however this issue needs resolving ideally before 11th March. 

Any and all advice from anyone who has been in the same, or a similar, situation will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Parents
  • Citiznes Advice is probably your best bet.  They might know of some legal way to threaten the GP, much as it pains me to state that, but he needs that sick note and if they won't issue it when you ask nicely, maybe it's time to ask less nicely.  Ultimately I think it's time to move to a different GP surgery.  Preferably somewhere that understands. 

Alternatively go at it the other way and ask for a sick note for anxiety, depression, stress and every other mental health issue that people with ASD suffer from, also ask for a referral to the Mental Health Team (which reinforces the need for said sick note.  Yes it is like gaming the system, but if that is what is required, then it is what it is.  If you aren't assertive, they will walk all over you and not give a damn while doing it.

• I forgot to mention I had spoke with CAB benefits team and they said the same thing, no sick note, no dice. I have been looking into a new GP practice. When we moved into the area six years ago these were the only surgery with open books (and now we know why). We rarely visit the GP so I registered just as I needed someone to sign my repeat prescriptions every month, but I am yet to receive satisfactory care or to see someone on time. (That is another story.)

I will admit I never thought about a note for his co-morbidity factors, so I will try from that angle. He is currently on a waiting list for a Mental Health Team referral. Like all things, it's a waiting game. 

I don't view it as playing the system. He is entitled so why shouldn't he receive it? Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time and it never occurred to me to go from the "co-morbidity factors" angle. Slight smile

• I forgot to mention I had spoke with CAB benefits team and they said the same thing, no sick note, no dice. I have been looking into a new GP practice. When we moved into the area six years ago these were the only surgery with open books (and now we know why). We rarely visit the GP so I registered just as I needed someone to sign my repeat prescriptions every month, but I am yet to receive satisfactory care or to see someone on time. (That is another story.)

I will admit I never thought about a note for his co-morbidity factors, so I will try from that angle. He is currently on a waiting list for a Mental Health Team referral. Like all things, it's a waiting game. 

I don't view it as playing the system. He is entitled so why shouldn't he receive it? Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time and it never occurred to me to go from the "co-morbidity factors" angle. Slight smile

Children
No Data