Is everyone an addict?

My theory is yes they are. Some to alcohol or tobbaco, some to psych meds. Others to the illiegal drugs. And some people who think they are sober are addicted to caffeine in coffee or tea or the opioids in gluten and dairy (bread, cheese). A lot of people are addicted to sugar. See how grumpy people would get if you wouldn't allow them sugar in their tea or coffee or if you banned cakes and sweets. Even if you eat a very healthy sugar free vegan diet you are still addicted to energy, even carbohydrates contain natural sugars. That's why I think deep down we are all really not that different.

Parents
  • Yeah, I see what you're saying. I don't know if all of these things are addiction though, they're habits maybe, a choice. Not everything creates a dependency.

Sugar, e.g., is it habit-forming? It's pleasurable to eat for most, socially embedded in our culture, and can provide a quick energy boost. All of those things might be compelling, but are they compulsive? 

Energy isn't an addiction, it's a life-requirement! We need it to function! That's why people who decide to live on the Fresh Air diet are on to a loser! 

I'm caffeine dependent, but that's ok. It has many benefits.

I don't consider it equivalent to a substance that will certainly cause harm. 

• Yeah, I see what you're saying. I don't know if all of these things are addiction though, they're habits maybe, a choice. Not everything creates a dependency.

Sugar, e.g., is it habit-forming? It's pleasurable to eat for most, socially embedded in our culture, and can provide a quick energy boost. All of those things might be compelling, but are they compulsive? 

Energy isn't an addiction, it's a life-requirement! We need it to function! That's why people who decide to live on the Fresh Air diet are on to a loser! 

I'm caffeine dependent, but that's ok. It has many benefits.

I don't consider it equivalent to a substance that will certainly cause harm. 

Children
No Data