Autism assessment

My 8 yr old son just had an appointment with clinical psychologist this week regarding autism assessment. We've done parent and school questionnaires, he had ot report and ed psych report in last 18 months which was also sent to paediatrician. The clinical psychologist appt was a chat centered around emotions, friends and getting him to act out brushing teeth. On googling, this sounds like the ados assessment but he didn't do the telling a story or puzzle activity. Why would they only do half an ASOS assessment. What are the looking for in the chat when asked about how you know when you feel sad/angry. A lot of my sons answers were I don't know or I don't know the right answer. Any insight greatly appreciated!

• These were questions that were asked when my eldest child had an autism assessment. I could only imagine they did not continue with the story because they might have had enough evidence. I remember after the assessment, I could not see the reasoning behind it and thought they were asking the wrong questions to see my child's struggles. However, they did end up diagnosing him with ASD.