Newly diagnosed teen son - medication?

My 17yo son was recently diagnosed with autism by a private practitioner. They have recommended prescribing Prozac to assist with the anxiety my son feels when having to prioritise / manage / undertake schoolwork or other responsibilities alongside his hyperfocus on his current interests.

I'm trying to find out whether this medication is typically prescribed for autistic teenagers, and have concerns about potential side effects (particularly in relation to suicidal thoughts).

If be interested to hear about other parents' experience in similar situations.

Thanks

Parents
  • I’m not a parent but I think you are right to have some concerns. Personally I don’t think any children should be prescribed medicine such as Prozac although whether you draw the line at 16 or 18 is harder to say - maybe 16 for girls and 18 for boys as girls (at least NT girls) develop quicker than boys.

Instead of letting him take Prozac I think it would be far better to teach him skills / knowledge to help him prioritise / manage / undertake schoolwork.

It’s a bit like teaching someone to fish instead of giving them fish.

Remember the private practitioner may just be trying to justify their role / satisfy what they think you or whoever is paying their fee expect for their fee.

• I’m not a parent but I think you are right to have some concerns. Personally I don’t think any children should be prescribed medicine such as Prozac although whether you draw the line at 16 or 18 is harder to say - maybe 16 for girls and 18 for boys as girls (at least NT girls) develop quicker than boys.

Instead of letting him take Prozac I think it would be far better to teach him skills / knowledge to help him prioritise / manage / undertake schoolwork.

It’s a bit like teaching someone to fish instead of giving them fish.

Remember the private practitioner may just be trying to justify their role / satisfy what they think you or whoever is paying their fee expect for their fee.

Children
No Data