Newly diagnosed teen son - medication?

My 17yo son was recently diagnosed with autism by a private practitioner. They have recommended prescribing Prozac to assist with the anxiety my son feels when having to prioritise / manage / undertake schoolwork or other responsibilities alongside his hyperfocus on his current interests.

I'm trying to find out whether this medication is typically prescribed for autistic teenagers, and have concerns about potential side effects (particularly in relation to suicidal thoughts).

If be interested to hear about other parents' experience in similar situations.

Thanks

Parents
  • There's a LOT of discussion on this. My thoughts (not advice) are this: Recent studies are showing ADHD and Autism have less GABA (which can be modified a bit with diet but not fixed when there's a loop we cannot shut down keeping us awake). In a pinch I take a 1/4 anti-anxiety prescription if it's affecting me. When it's a melody that won't stop, there's little to be done. When it's a problem in need of resolution, fixing the problem can stop the 'looping thoughts', but this can require learning how matter (small and large) affects biology, so maybe a bit of physics or psychology are needed. Wisdom to know how to get through a situation.

BUT this is all due to the fact that Autistics and NeuroDivergent individuals have a different biology: from what I've found, have a different salience network and so a Cause will Effect us with a greater intensity. 

GABA is the gut-health link. Its role is to shut down really high speed brain waves accelerating out of control. GABA is a bit like the bodys resistance squad, they march in, shut the party down. Now, I've found a nootropics blend with Lions Mane which does seem to modify how often I'm dealing with anxiety. 

Prozac or Fluoxetine actually suppresses GABA, and would make anxiety worse for Autistics. From what I've read at the National Library of Medicine, I wonder if the biology of NeuroTypical individuals IS really incredibly different than Autistic/ADHD individuals in this way. 

I would just submit this to your GP and ask if they could do more research. 

• There's a LOT of discussion on this. My thoughts (not advice) are this: Recent studies are showing ADHD and Autism have less GABA (which can be modified a bit with diet but not fixed when there's a loop we cannot shut down keeping us awake). In a pinch I take a 1/4 anti-anxiety prescription if it's affecting me. When it's a melody that won't stop, there's little to be done. When it's a problem in need of resolution, fixing the problem can stop the 'looping thoughts', but this can require learning how matter (small and large) affects biology, so maybe a bit of physics or psychology are needed. Wisdom to know how to get through a situation.

BUT this is all due to the fact that Autistics and NeuroDivergent individuals have a different biology: from what I've found, have a different salience network and so a Cause will Effect us with a greater intensity. 

GABA is the gut-health link. Its role is to shut down really high speed brain waves accelerating out of control. GABA is a bit like the bodys resistance squad, they march in, shut the party down. Now, I've found a nootropics blend with Lions Mane which does seem to modify how often I'm dealing with anxiety. 

Prozac or Fluoxetine actually suppresses GABA, and would make anxiety worse for Autistics. From what I've read at the National Library of Medicine, I wonder if the biology of NeuroTypical individuals IS really incredibly different than Autistic/ADHD individuals in this way. 

I would just submit this to your GP and ask if they could do more research. 

Children
No Data