Any ideas about challenges and issues of helping high functioning autistic person to transition into adulthood?

Does anyone have issues helping their HFA child transition into adulthood?

Is it usual for HFA young adults to have no interest in becoming independent?

Does anyone else have a child who is bright academically but seems to be trapped with the emotional age of a young child?

Is it usual for HFA young adults to get up in the afternoon and stay up half the night?

We have issues with life being one big dream - plans but no action. 

Aspirations far higher than what is possible.

Thinking his parents should always do everything for him. 

Thinking he should be able to live in nice accommodation even if he doesn’t have a job.

I would be very interested to know what solutions they have come up with. Any ideas?

Parents
  • Independence = lonelyness. If you have no irl friends, no girlfriend, no children to look after then what does independence get you? An empty house to sit in alone.

Does anyone else have a child who is bright academically but seems to be trapped with the emotional age of a young child?

As a an autistic PhD research scientist who spends his free time playing video games and watching Japanese cartoons I’d say you can expect that to remain the case basically forever.

Is it usual for HFA young adults to get up in the afternoon and stay up half the night?

Lots of autistic people tend to have disrupted sleep cycles. I’m very much a night owl myself.

as for high aspirations I’d like to think anything is posable if you put the work in. But you have to put the work in. Eg for me 8 years to get my doctorate (from starting uni)

• Independence = lonelyness. If you have no irl friends, no girlfriend, no children to look after then what does independence get you? An empty house to sit in alone.

As a an autistic PhD research scientist who spends his free time playing video games and watching Japanese cartoons I’d say you can expect that to remain the case basically forever.

Lots of autistic people tend to have disrupted sleep cycles. I’m very much a night owl myself.

as for high aspirations I’d like to think anything is posable if you put the work in. But you have to put the work in. Eg for me 8 years to get my doctorate (from starting uni)

Children
No Data