Surrey private schools for v bright aspergers

Great private school for v bright aspergers some social comms challenges and anxiety + low level emotional regulation ideally Surrey - he can cope in mainstream but trying to work out if he’d be better at a special school. Hes 9 - secondary my main worry

Parents
  • Hi, this sounds similar to my son, but he is 10 and in year 6 so secondary is scarily close. I looked at Sunnydown in Caterham but it only takes 16 boys each year and my son doesn’t have an EHCP (essential to get a place). My feeling is that my son needs a small, nurturing, independent mainstream where class sizes will be smaller than state and the whole campus will be smaller and less daunting for him. I’m currently looking at Box Hill school which is in Surrey and they have experience with children with ASD and also have a Speech and Language Therapist which would be great for my son as he has had a private SaLT assessment which made recommendations which are not currently being met at his mainstream state primary. Kingswood House in Epsom is meant to be good but you’d probably want to look at moving him there early as they only have limited space for children with SEN. Also Ewell Castle is meant to be nurturing and good for children with SEN. All the best!

• Hi, this sounds similar to my son, but he is 10 and in year 6 so secondary is scarily close. I looked at Sunnydown in Caterham but it only takes 16 boys each year and my son doesn’t have an EHCP (essential to get a place). My feeling is that my son needs a small, nurturing, independent mainstream where class sizes will be smaller than state and the whole campus will be smaller and less daunting for him. I’m currently looking at Box Hill school which is in Surrey and they have experience with children with ASD and also have a Speech and Language Therapist which would be great for my son as he has had a private SaLT assessment which made recommendations which are not currently being met at his mainstream state primary. Kingswood House in Epsom is meant to be good but you’d probably want to look at moving him there early as they only have limited space for children with SEN. Also Ewell Castle is meant to be nurturing and good for children with SEN. All the best!

Children
  • Hi, It seems I am going through the same issues with my daughter, i notice this post was a year ago, did you have any luck, we are currently going through mediation to appeal the EHCP. We really feel stuck in the middle and would appreciate any suggested secondary schools in the surrey area

• Thanks be careful if Box Hill heard some bad bullying stories from a number of different sources recently. Also discipline and academic standards - just what I’ve heard peoples experience varies. Kingswood better reputation  I think - I’d consider but it’s further away and I’d like more mainstream as my perception is it’s big on SEN.