Autism and Eating

Hello all,
I have a neurodivergent 4 year old who seems to be less and less flexible with what she is willing to eat as she gets older. She likes food to be plain, dry, and not touching. She loves crisps and cakes and eats apple at times. Sometimes she eats curry that I make and can handle spaghetti and pasta that is not plain at times (I have no idea what the decision process here is, sometimes she eats it like there is no tomorrow and other times she will not take a bite).
I am often not sure if she has eaten at nursery or not but have held back from giving her packed lunch as she really likes doing what all the other children are doing and is probably more likely to eat there than at home.
Recently, she has been really hard to feed and seems to not be hungry or want anything at all. As a result she is eating very small amounts of processed foods such as fridge raiders, brioche rolls, mini cheese, yoghurt and that is about it. I cannot get her to eat any fruit or veg at the moment- even getting her to eat a piece of broccoli which she used to love is very hard work.
Are there any tips or suggestions of other things she may like that I can try that are more nutritious? We are not trying to convince her to eat but I am feeling a bit worried as she is only on the 9th percentile as it is and I am aware of the links between autism and eating disorders, particularly in girls.
Any suggestions about how to approach meal times/ or other types of food I can try would be very welcome,
Thanks,
Lucetta
Parents
  • Before you head toward eating disorders, start with allergies and nutrition. Will she take a multi vitamin? 

I am on a low FODMAP diet to start (though I can have small amounts of organic whole milk products - there is something fed to cows which isn't normal affecting non-organic milk which then I have a problem with). My unknown allergies started young. And no one suspected until I was hospitalised in my teens. Food can be modified beyond what the human body can process and like all other sensory issues, Autistics may be impacted first. 

I cannot have Brassicas or Pulses or most grains except white rice, if there is contamination I cannot have milk products for a few weeks. I cannot digest spinach, so for salad stuff, I stick to the Daisy Botanical Family.

Pulses are Legumes which include the Peanut, which is not a nut. In fact, most of what we call nuts are actually seeds or drupes. True botanical nuts are chestnuts and hazelnuts. If I have even a tiny amount of something I cannot properly digest, I won't be able to eat for several days and it could be deadly if I do. Looking into history, most of what is difficult for me used to be fodder for animals. For some reason it's been cultivated and modified until most humans can handle these. I cannot eat broccoli. 

Safe foods include roots like carrots and potatoes, all fruit and berries, nightshades without the seeds (de-seed tomatoes), cucurbits (melons, cucumber, squash). Corn is a funny one. No one knows where to put it, but I eat it. Along with meat. And then anything from the sea.

But this is me. It's taken 40+ years to work some of this out. I've discovered I can't chew through the skin of some non-organic produce. Organic is fine. But apparently there's a new modification GMO, teaching plants to toughen their skin as an insecticide. And then we could get into what's in the soil.

Make sure she's hydrated and try fruit in yogurt. Frozen Berries. Sometimes kids love 100% juice in the form of an ice lolly. What fruit is in the yogurt she eats? Another thing to do for health is a spoonful of honey a day (so long as she doesn't have an allergy). Local honey is best.

Will she go black berry picking? Does she like tinned fruit in fruit juice? I gave my son nut bars, breakfast bars, power bars when he was young.  Even a little Nutella can be helpful to acquire the taste for hazelnuts & palm oil does have some nutrients to it. My diet sounds like it is without fibre, but the right kind of fibre is needed. 

Kids don't need much! And a lot of what adults eat is to make up for nutrition we're missing which children still have.

• Before you head toward eating disorders, start with allergies and nutrition. Will she take a multi vitamin? 

I am on a low FODMAP diet to start (though I can have small amounts of organic whole milk products - there is something fed to cows which isn't normal affecting non-organic milk which then I have a problem with). My unknown allergies started young. And no one suspected until I was hospitalised in my teens. Food can be modified beyond what the human body can process and like all other sensory issues, Autistics may be impacted first. 

I cannot have Brassicas or Pulses or most grains except white rice, if there is contamination I cannot have milk products for a few weeks. I cannot digest spinach, so for salad stuff, I stick to the Daisy Botanical Family.

Pulses are Legumes which include the Peanut, which is not a nut. In fact, most of what we call nuts are actually seeds or drupes. True botanical nuts are chestnuts and hazelnuts. If I have even a tiny amount of something I cannot properly digest, I won't be able to eat for several days and it could be deadly if I do. Looking into history, most of what is difficult for me used to be fodder for animals. For some reason it's been cultivated and modified until most humans can handle these. I cannot eat broccoli. 

Safe foods include roots like carrots and potatoes, all fruit and berries, nightshades without the seeds (de-seed tomatoes), cucurbits (melons, cucumber, squash). Corn is a funny one. No one knows where to put it, but I eat it. Along with meat. And then anything from the sea.

But this is me. It's taken 40+ years to work some of this out. I've discovered I can't chew through the skin of some non-organic produce. Organic is fine. But apparently there's a new modification GMO, teaching plants to toughen their skin as an insecticide. And then we could get into what's in the soil.

Make sure she's hydrated and try fruit in yogurt. Frozen Berries. Sometimes kids love 100% juice in the form of an ice lolly. What fruit is in the yogurt she eats? Another thing to do for health is a spoonful of honey a day (so long as she doesn't have an allergy). Local honey is best.

Will she go black berry picking? Does she like tinned fruit in fruit juice? I gave my son nut bars, breakfast bars, power bars when he was young.  Even a little Nutella can be helpful to acquire the taste for hazelnuts & palm oil does have some nutrients to it. My diet sounds like it is without fibre, but the right kind of fibre is needed. 

Kids don't need much! And a lot of what adults eat is to make up for nutrition we're missing which children still have.

Children
No Data