How to create a calmer atmosphere for our students

We would like our students to really enjoy school and to make sure it suits all needs and a nice atmosphere. 

Over the summer holidays we are planning to have some maintenance work done to fix up the school a bit more. We would like to hear any suggestions to make the school nicer and more welcoming.

A little insight: students all have their own desks and area. Some share classrooms and some don't. All students have ear defenders on their desk, pecs books, chews and sensory box. 

We allow students to bring comfort items from home or sometimes we buy it for them. So some students have their favourite books, toys, picture, cushion, blankets and teddies. 

One of our rooms, is full of 3 teenage girls. Most of the times they get along, lol. Under their desk they have yoga balls for when they have energy and to fiddle when working. And they have a comfy area under their desk with cushions, blankets, teddies. We want to hear some of your ideas to create an even more welcoming and calming atmosphere. 

Thanks in advance. X

• I'm sorry to hear that. Most of our students come from other schools and were failed by the system. And most of the students who join us are in the early stages of reading and writing. Students have said they enjoy school and will travel hours everyday to get here. Parents have also said that their child has improved with everything and are a lot happier. 

• tbh my recommendation of school is simply to not go to school. i found school personally to be a waste of time and you could learn more yourself on the internet at home than you can learn from school. but school i went to was large classes of like 30 students and they were all loud and aggressive.

primary school i felt i learnt the most from, kids were younger so the teachers had more control and less fear of them. at end of each day of primary school i felt my brain was tired, like a muscle that has truly been trained that day. high school though was were the teaching fell apart, high school had no control over the classes and probably didnt help with the format of changing class rooms and teachers for every single lesson, where as primary school you had 1 room and 1 teacher for every single lesson and that teacher had control and knew each student due to being their constant teacher.

• Update: We've always wanted students to have a safe place to go to when overwhelmed or when they just want to chill. But right now it is more important than ever. Yesterday, we gave out social stories explaining that 4 of our staff are leaving, at the end of term. Students coped really well. They were all obviously upset to hear this especially because one of their favourite and preferred staff are leaving. We are doing everything we can for the staff and students to have the best time and create more happy memories and will do a leavers party for the staff.