Face/spot picking and anxiety

My daughter has recently been diagnosed with ASD, but has been picking at her face and spots for a while now when she gets stressed. For example, her spots were bad at the end of term and improved steadily over the holiday - however since Friday she has had flare ups and this morning has marks all over her face where she has picked them. She doesn't like the feeling of uneven skin, so she picks the spots and then the scabs.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received. She already uses special creams and face wash for spots, but cannot use the cream prescribed by the doctor as they are often open sores.

Parents
  • I do the same, it sounds weird but I find picking at spots/ squeezing them oddly calming and stress reducing... I never realised this could be an ASD-related behaviour. Not sure how to stop doing it though, I never really tried to stop it because it is so calming but for sure on a rational basis it is not really the best thing to do... I go through phases of doing this. If it is really bothering your daughter could she maybe try another way of stimming when she gets the urge to pick at her spots? 

• Hi Ann, She is aware that she is doing it and over the holidays they can clear up completely - but any kind of stress makes her break out. 

She has started colouring in before bed so that her hands are busy, but she misses reading.....but if she reads then she picks!

• Hi Ann, She is aware that she is doing it and over the holidays they can clear up completely - but any kind of stress makes her break out. 

She has started colouring in before bed so that her hands are busy, but she misses reading.....but if she reads then she picks!

Children
No Data