PE kit keeps getting lost

Hello, my name is Amy, lovely to 'meet' you all.

My son started at grammar school in September. For the most part, he can coped really well with the transition. However, he is finding it really hard not to lose things, mainly PE kit. Does anyone have any ideas to support him with this? The school are just saying he can leave it in a designated area, which doesn't really help, as he is forgetting to puts things back into his bag in the changing room.

Many thanks, have a lovely day.

Parents
  • I totally understand that one. When my son was in primary the admin staff were forever returning his belongings.

Now he is in Secondary school he regularly loses things. There is a lot to process and remember. He loves PE but often leaves kit in the rush to get changed. We have bought more spare kit than needed to cover for this. Most eventually gets collected from lost property.

We also have spares of other things like rulers and a spare rucksack for when next one wears out. That is because when the last one broke he could only cope with exactly the same. We also get the next size in shirts and trousers for the day when he can't go to school because he suddenly realises it doesn't fit.

Currently reminding him about a couple if things he has forgotten to do 

• I have ADHD and as a kid, I was always losing stuff. I find that having "rules" helps -  e.g. don't walk out the front door unless you have the door key in your hand.  I still follow the same routine as when I was in school - bus pass in the top pocket, wallet left inside pocket, money right trouser pocket .. you get the idea. Then "pat and check" before you change location. 

He needs to make it automatic to ask "what have I forgotten ?" Stop, look around.  Maybe leave his PE bag in plain sight,  put his shirt or tie in or on the PE bag, and don't finish getting dressed until his used pe kit is in his kitbag. A laminated reminder in his desk or locker (if he has one) might help.

Another tip at home:  Use a whiteboard marker pen to leave a message on the bathroom mirror, or stick post-it notes on the toilet door or front door.

The point is to over-learn to the point where checking becomes routine.  And maybe buy shares in your favourite sportswear store. (Just joking!)

As an adult, I have a box in my car which has pens, tissues, spare cash, wet wipes ... you get the idea. That way if I lose anything I have a spare. And replace anything used from the box, of course!

• Hi.im going to try some of the tips you haa as ve said in your post..because I’m at the end of my rope of wondering what can I do next not only that but it’s also hurting my bank account and I’ve been reading up on his asd and it seems that it’s quite common thing for them losing gym clothes and coats..so thanks for your tips

• Hi.im going to try some of the tips you haa as ve said in your post..because I’m at the end of my rope of wondering what can I do next not only that but it’s also hurting my bank account and I’ve been reading up on his asd and it seems that it’s quite common thing for them losing gym clothes and coats..so thanks for your tips

Children
No Data