Concerned dad of non verbal child

Hi

I'm a father of a 3/4 year old boy who's been diagnosed with autism.
He was a prem baby however physically he's perfect and beautiful.
It felt like he was hitting all his milestones as he was growing up....but somewhere along the way he stopped
His concerning behavior as it stands is

• He does not speak (but makes noises)
  • Doesn't make much eye contact
  • Doesn't respond to his name
  • Doesn't point at things
  • Doesn't want to play with other kids

The positives are

• He enjoys listening to some music (jumps up and down to it)
  • When he hears some nursery ryhmes, he wants me to do the actions (clap hands, touch nose)
  • He's very affectionate
  • He used to say a few words (but regressed)
  • He holds my hand as we walk to and from school

I guess I want to know 

• Do others on here have similar experience with their children (or themselves)?
  • Did they manage to talk and become communicative?
  • As they grew up, have they managed to make friends and relationships?
  • Did they manage to become independent and be able to look after themselves?
  • Anyone else feel that their child wouldn't miss you if you weren't around?
Parents
  • As an autistic adult who’s listened to people all over the spectrum and parents all of this is familiar with autistic people.

When you mention he’s stopped speaking, many parents I’ve listened to said their child(ren) stopped around one to two years of age and began to withdraw from the world. They found it to be the result of their child being overwhelmed by other people, a professional I listened to said around the age of 3 kids begin to pay more attention to other kids around them, the social environment, but individuals on the spectrum overwhelmed by the environment try to tune it out.

After suitable therapy involving building inner strength these children restarted speaking and communicating enabled to build a relationship with their parents.

Your third and fourth will vary more greatly between individuals on the spectrum. Concerning missing you, if you’re part of your child’s life your child will miss you when you’re not around, it’s just autistic people express things like love and gratitude in a different way to most people.

• As an autistic adult who’s listened to people all over the spectrum and parents all of this is familiar with autistic people.

When you mention he’s stopped speaking, many parents I’ve listened to said their child(ren) stopped around one to two years of age and began to withdraw from the world. They found it to be the result of their child being overwhelmed by other people, a professional I listened to said around the age of 3 kids begin to pay more attention to other kids around them, the social environment, but individuals on the spectrum overwhelmed by the environment try to tune it out.

After suitable therapy involving building inner strength these children restarted speaking and communicating enabled to build a relationship with their parents.

Your third and fourth will vary more greatly between individuals on the spectrum. Concerning missing you, if you’re part of your child’s life your child will miss you when you’re not around, it’s just autistic people express things like love and gratitude in a different way to most people.

Children
No Data