Concerned dad of non verbal child

Hi

I'm a father of a 3/4 year old boy who's been diagnosed with autism.
He was a prem baby however physically he's perfect and beautiful.
It felt like he was hitting all his milestones as he was growing up....but somewhere along the way he stopped
His concerning behavior as it stands is

• He does not speak (but makes noises)
  • Doesn't make much eye contact
  • Doesn't respond to his name
  • Doesn't point at things
  • Doesn't want to play with other kids

The positives are

• He enjoys listening to some music (jumps up and down to it)
  • When he hears some nursery ryhmes, he wants me to do the actions (clap hands, touch nose)
  • He's very affectionate
  • He used to say a few words (but regressed)
  • He holds my hand as we walk to and from school

I guess I want to know 

• Do others on here have similar experience with their children (or themselves)?
  • Did they manage to talk and become communicative?
  • As they grew up, have they managed to make friends and relationships?
  • Did they manage to become independent and be able to look after themselves?
  • Anyone else feel that their child wouldn't miss you if you weren't around?
Parents
  • Hi, I am the mum of an autistic 23 year old son. He was diagnosed at 3 having hit developmental milestones until 1.5 then suddenly regressed.

At the time there was little support within the nhs  for speech therapy but I helped him to speak using the PECS system (picture exchange communication system)  of picture cards. I trained as a PECS instructor to do this but the cards are so helpful I don’t think the training is really necessary to help your child - you need patience and common sense. You can start start with a couple of cards ( favourite foods or toys) and eventually build up to constructing short simple sentences.

there are other similar systems available and I believe the costs have come greatly now but you could start with a few pictures clipped from magazines to see how you go. It took Alex a while to speak but it really helped with his frustration at not being to communicate - if he wanted an apple he selected the picture and gave it to me.  Predictably, once he learnt to speak I couldn’t shut him up :-)

if you think there is something wrong see your GP to get a diagnosis rolling as early as possible. Once you have that you can get a statement if needed and get control of his education. I fought really hard to get Alex into the best school in the county but he thrived there and stayed until he was 18.

Alex struggles to make friends face to face but has many online friends, has just got his first job and is hoping to learn to drive next year.  It was hard for me letting him to be independent but he was desperate so we did it in small steps - catching the train to college for example ( it was hard for me just letting him go to college after 14 years at his special needs school) but he loved it.

Getting a diagnosis of any disability for your child can feel shattering - we have so many expectations for them - but Alex has changed my life in so many positive ways and is the kindest and most thoughtful of my 4 children and really, what is “ normal” anyway?

Good luck, you sound like a wonderful dad and I really wish you well x

• Hi, I am the mum of an autistic 23 year old son. He was diagnosed at 3 having hit developmental milestones until 1.5 then suddenly regressed.

At the time there was little support within the nhs  for speech therapy but I helped him to speak using the PECS system (picture exchange communication system)  of picture cards. I trained as a PECS instructor to do this but the cards are so helpful I don’t think the training is really necessary to help your child - you need patience and common sense. You can start start with a couple of cards ( favourite foods or toys) and eventually build up to constructing short simple sentences.

there are other similar systems available and I believe the costs have come greatly now but you could start with a few pictures clipped from magazines to see how you go. It took Alex a while to speak but it really helped with his frustration at not being to communicate - if he wanted an apple he selected the picture and gave it to me.  Predictably, once he learnt to speak I couldn’t shut him up :-)

if you think there is something wrong see your GP to get a diagnosis rolling as early as possible. Once you have that you can get a statement if needed and get control of his education. I fought really hard to get Alex into the best school in the county but he thrived there and stayed until he was 18.

Alex struggles to make friends face to face but has many online friends, has just got his first job and is hoping to learn to drive next year.  It was hard for me letting him to be independent but he was desperate so we did it in small steps - catching the train to college for example ( it was hard for me just letting him go to college after 14 years at his special needs school) but he loved it.

Getting a diagnosis of any disability for your child can feel shattering - we have so many expectations for them - but Alex has changed my life in so many positive ways and is the kindest and most thoughtful of my 4 children and really, what is “ normal” anyway?

Good luck, you sound like a wonderful dad and I really wish you well x

Children
  • Thank you
    I appreciate your response
    I'm so glad your son is doing so well. He's lucky to have you, as you're lucky to have him to :)

You mentioned the PECS system. Is there set of cards that you would recommend that i get? Looking online, there's quite a selection.

Additionaly, in terms of schooling, what school did he go to and at what age? My son has just started nursery at primary school. The school are aware of his condition and are liasing with his Paediatrician and Speach Therapist. However it feels like covid has slowed down the cogs of the health system....the worst time possible for my son.

Its good to hear that he found his voice. Even though he doesn't shut up, i'm sure you don't mind it. Congratulations on him getting his first job! He can now enjoy working....like the rest of us lol
    My son has changed my life. I just want him to be the best he can be....so everyone else can see how special he is

Your message means a lot
    You're a fantastic role model to your kids x