EHCPs and new schools, Kent

Hello all,

I've been registered here for sometime, but today has just been so ***, and I am feeling depressed.

My son, who is 7 years old has ASD. We applied to the council for an EHCP, but it was refused. We are appealing it. My first question is:

1. Can people who have gone through this process, please post their best advice, in short bullet points? 

We are also looking to take him out of his current school because the SEN team are truly awful....for example he is left to play on his own at breaktime, he is called "grumpy" by his teacher, and is also told that he gets into arguments with everyone! Seems like they have no desire to help SEN kids. Anyway, that brings me to my next question:

2. How difficult will it be for me to get him into another state school within the next few weeks? I know this sounds like I am being hasty, but the current school have left him being a sad, depressed little boy. Leaving him there any longer would be tantamount to neglect.

3. What is the process of getting him into a new school?

4. Does anyone live in Kent?

5. Can you recommend schools that you have been happy with?

thanks.

Parents
  • Hi, I’m fairly new here but me and my partner are going through a bit of the same process, we don’t live in Kent, we live in Skelmersdale but are waiting to move to Wirral, Liverpool. Our Son is 5, he is awaiting his ASD assessment and had a support plan in place during Nursery for 2 years and again for another year in Reception but since starting Year 1 at the beginning of this month, they have started a “New” support plan. They have took his 3 sensory sessions away and are now collecting evidence of what difficulties he has in year 1. Our Son holds a lot of it in at school and only shows his true self part of the time. They have been letting him play alone, he has come home with marks in his underwear as they have left him to wipe himself knowing full well that he struggles. It’s killing us as we don’t want to take him, but we are told it’s the law and are blackmailed with fines if we don’t take him. But meltdowns and other difficulties at home are becoming a concern for us. I’m sorry I can’t give much advice but your not alone and any information I find I will post here for you. I hope we can get our children the right support in place within their schools it’s unfair for them to be treated this way just because they have an invisible disability. 

• Hi, I’m fairly new here but me and my partner are going through a bit of the same process, we don’t live in Kent, we live in Skelmersdale but are waiting to move to Wirral, Liverpool. Our Son is 5, he is awaiting his ASD assessment and had a support plan in place during Nursery for 2 years and again for another year in Reception but since starting Year 1 at the beginning of this month, they have started a “New” support plan. They have took his 3 sensory sessions away and are now collecting evidence of what difficulties he has in year 1. Our Son holds a lot of it in at school and only shows his true self part of the time. They have been letting him play alone, he has come home with marks in his underwear as they have left him to wipe himself knowing full well that he struggles. It’s killing us as we don’t want to take him, but we are told it’s the law and are blackmailed with fines if we don’t take him. But meltdowns and other difficulties at home are becoming a concern for us. I’m sorry I can’t give much advice but your not alone and any information I find I will post here for you. I hope we can get our children the right support in place within their schools it’s unfair for them to be treated this way just because they have an invisible disability. 

Children
No Data