stimming for life?

Currently, my son is 9 years old. He stimms Quite a bit, in fact. I let him do it, of course. I wonder if the autistic person's stimming stops at some point or Continue all of his life?   

Parents
  • I have never rocked or flapped my hands, but as a child I would spin on the spot or run in tight circles. I don't do those things any more, not since I was probably about 12 yrs or so. I do still fiddle with mechanical objects, things that open and close, pivot or silde, especially if they click - ballpont pens, corkscrews, Swiss army penknives etc. I also jiggle my legs and feet when sitting. I think the need to stim remains, but the nature of stimming can change, especially movement towards more 'socially acceptable' stims. 

• I have never rocked or flapped my hands, but as a child I would spin on the spot or run in tight circles. I don't do those things any more, not since I was probably about 12 yrs or so. I do still fiddle with mechanical objects, things that open and close, pivot or silde, especially if they click - ballpont pens, corkscrews, Swiss army penknives etc. I also jiggle my legs and feet when sitting. I think the need to stim remains, but the nature of stimming can change, especially movement towards more 'socially acceptable' stims. 

Children
No Data