An autistic child meltdown at school, school wants payment for damage

Some friends of mine going through a difficult time in various ways have a son diagnosed autistic who had a meltdown at school and he caused damage. 

They are now being fined for said damage, anyone know if they are legally obliged to pay or perhaps the damage being caused by something the child can't really help is it really something they're liable for?

Parents
  • I’d be wanting a thorough investigation of how the meltdown occurred and if a EHCP was in place if it was breached.

All too easy to blame the Autistic kid especially when the staff let their guard down and allow overwhelm to occur 

• I mean esp when it's supposed to be set up to deal with special needs as I recall. Very odd.

The children only started going to school within this last year (they've been home schooled) and broke up for the 6 week holiday up to which there hadn't been much in the way of proper lessons but they were launched right into them on return (from what I can tell of what I've been told anyway by the parents). This has lead to stress and confusion for both children. Madness.

• I mean esp when it's supposed to be set up to deal with special needs as I recall. Very odd.

The children only started going to school within this last year (they've been home schooled) and broke up for the 6 week holiday up to which there hadn't been much in the way of proper lessons but they were launched right into them on return (from what I can tell of what I've been told anyway by the parents). This has lead to stress and confusion for both children. Madness.

Children
No Data