An autistic child meltdown at school, school wants payment for damage

Some friends of mine going through a difficult time in various ways have a son diagnosed autistic who had a meltdown at school and he caused damage. 

They are now being fined for said damage, anyone know if they are legally obliged to pay or perhaps the damage being caused by something the child can't really help is it really something they're liable for?

Parents
  • Your friends might benefit from some initial advice from Citizens Advice on this. There could be a counter charge of disability discrimination against the son by the school that your friends could also look into. The school may have policies about damage caused by pupils (check with the governors perhaps) and your friends may wish to ask to see these policies. Seems a bit arbitrary to me as it also looks like a punishment for being disabled. Even if your friends' son wasn't disabled it would still be rather difficult to pursue. It could also look like a backdoor way of getting equipment replaced at no or less cost to the school. I would complain.

• Your friends might benefit from some initial advice from Citizens Advice on this. There could be a counter charge of disability discrimination against the son by the school that your friends could also look into. The school may have policies about damage caused by pupils (check with the governors perhaps) and your friends may wish to ask to see these policies. Seems a bit arbitrary to me as it also looks like a punishment for being disabled. Even if your friends' son wasn't disabled it would still be rather difficult to pursue. It could also look like a backdoor way of getting equipment replaced at no or less cost to the school. I would complain.

Children
  • Good points I'll mention it to them. I'm asking because they're going through a load of hell right now and barely have any time for things. Thing is this school is meant to be one that specially deals with special needs so it seems even more bizarre. 

Their daughter who may also be autistic got shouted at for not wanting to carry her bags. Hmm. No official diagnosis with her though.