Review panel on Thursday

Hello, 

My 2.5 year old had an autism referral to paediatrics when she was 18 months. After 2 phone calls and an assessment in clinic, she is being put forward to a multidisciplinary team on Thursday. They will review all information and make a diagnosis. It’s in her notes that her paediatrician is ready to make a diagnosis of ASD but nursery have thrown a spanner in the works saying she doesn’t appear to have delays (she’s been diagnosed with global developmental delay) and that she’s very sociable. This is a completely different girl to the one we know. She has no interest in other children or adults around her, but nursery have said that’s what they’d expect her to be like at this age. I’m just worried that nursery are going to cause them to change their minds and she’s only been at nursery 2 mornings a week for 6 weeks. Will nursery’s response to the questionnaire be enough to change their opinion?

Just feeling stressed out that we’re so close to a diagnosis and I’m worried they’ll make the wrong decision now. 

• It’s so worrying isn’t it! We went to panel knowing he has ASD but they reported that he “didn’t fit the criteria” but then went on to give a long comprehensive list of his needs and issues and what support he needs. We have appealed their decision and he is going to be assessed by an autism psychiatric consultant in the coming weeks. There are things you can do if you don’t get the decision you want xx

• Yes they’ve seen her in clinic and have noted lack of eye contact, hand flapping, no response to name, etc. I’ve also filled out a 3di questionnaire and I sent over some information that I thought would be relevant. Just finding the whole process so difficult. 

• What planet are the nursery on? How can she be "very sociable" in their view on the one hand, and then 'expected to be like this' ie. no interest in other children or adults on the other. Aren't those two statements mutually exclusive?

Hopefully, they will see the pediatrician as a more learned voice that a nursery teacher. Have they taken notes from you too, seen her themselves?