Severely Autistic/ADHD Son Making No Progress

I am extremely concerned with my seven year old son. He was diagnosed with autism at the age of three, and just recently with ADHD. Despite our family trying extremely hard with him, he seems to be making no progress at all and as he's been getting older, I've become increasingly concerned with how he is going to be able to even function in the future.

He is completely non verbal for a start, and has ever being able to say a single word. He is not even able to shake his head or make a verbalisation to indicate yes or no. His only means of communication is his PECS chart where he uses to pick out some of thing things he wants, and then hands to us. Even this is sketchy, sometimes he will be hungry, but still not think to use his PECS. He is not toilet trained, we've tried three times for as long as two weeks, but he was still wetting himself. He is clearly very frustrated at times, several times a week he gets inconsolable and will go into a corner or under a bed and cry for an hour. Sometimes it'll be because he's not getting a biscuit he's looking for, other times we have no idea why he's doing it. One of the worst things he does is his tendency to bolt. If he gets an opportunity, he is out of the house like a shot. One time he escaped and we had to call the police to find him, this was terrifying as a parent. All doors windows in our house are bolted and locked since.

He attends a school for kids with special needs, and while the staff there are wonderful, they too are at a loss as to what they can do to help him. School has only ever been glorified day care for our son, I don't think he's learned a thing or been taught to cope better with his condition. 

I am really at a loss as to do what to do and actually feeling very down about the situation. I have accepted my son will likely never speak, or that he's going to be high functioning. At this point, I would just be happy if he wasn't completely dependent on his parents or a danger to himself with the constant attempts at bolting/climbing. At the moment, ever using the toilet, indicating yes/no, or being able to dress himself seems like an impossible goal. 

Are there any parents with kids who are or have been in similar situations? Can things ever improve for a situation as grim as mine? Is there anything out there for kids that have very severe difficulties? 

Parents Reply Children
No Data