Newbie! Diagnosis question?

Hi,

My son 7 year old son has just been diagnosed to be on the spectrum, I'm completely new to all this.  I was expecting them to tell me what 'type' he has, but they said they no longer do this, it's just classed as having ASC?  Is this true, or do I need to go privately to have a more detailed diagnosis? I'm pretty convinced he has Asperger and I think it would be helpful to know this.... but I might be just wrong or naive?

Any help, gratefully received.  Thank you. 

Parents
  • Welcome, :)

They no longer have separate diagnoses for Aspergers and 'Classic autism' it was decided that there were too many similarities between the two so in 2013 I think, they just changed the diagnosis to ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).

My diagnosis report says that even though I'm officially diagnosed with ASD he stated that I am of the older Aspergers criteria and if it was still a diagnosis that's what I would be diagnosed with. There's often a label given of high functioning and low functioning but there's a little bit of controversy surrounding whether or not that is a good thing.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I think maybe in America they give people diagnoses of ASD1/2 or 3 and the numbers correlate to the level of functionality the individual has but I'm not sure what number means high or low.

You could ask the doctor who did the diagnosis for some more information and a breakdown of the report you have been/ should be getting. Keep looking through this forum too there's an incredible amount of information that gets exchanged here that you can learn and ask questions too.

O

• Welcome, :)

They no longer have separate diagnoses for Aspergers and 'Classic autism' it was decided that there were too many similarities between the two so in 2013 I think, they just changed the diagnosis to ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).

My diagnosis report says that even though I'm officially diagnosed with ASD he stated that I am of the older Aspergers criteria and if it was still a diagnosis that's what I would be diagnosed with. There's often a label given of high functioning and low functioning but there's a little bit of controversy surrounding whether or not that is a good thing.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I think maybe in America they give people diagnoses of ASD1/2 or 3 and the numbers correlate to the level of functionality the individual has but I'm not sure what number means high or low.

You could ask the doctor who did the diagnosis for some more information and a breakdown of the report you have been/ should be getting. Keep looking through this forum too there's an incredible amount of information that gets exchanged here that you can learn and ask questions too.

O

Children