Walking out of school...

My 14 y.o daughter walked out of school earlier today. She is in a PRU so there's not many children (around 20 max). 

I had a phone call from school telling me she has left school grounds. Her behaviour is deteriorating as well. 

I have figured out the problem but I'm not sure how to help her. She is verbal and told me this herself. ' I don't like Project because there are 5 different teachers teaching us, they are doing things differently and doing different things in it and I have it like 10 times a week.' 

She doesn't like project which I can understand. Teachers are aware of the problem and try everything to get her into the lesson (she keeps walking out or just doesn't go). The past 2 weeks, this particular lesson has affected her other lessons because today for example, her first 2 lessons were fine, then she had Project and didn't go, then had English (one of her favourites) and didn't go since she wanted to go home. She leaves at lunch which was 15 minutes away but she climbed over the gate and left. (Her teacher followed her a bit and stayed a distance away and during school she is never left alone). 

She is very stressed and when I picked her up she was in tears and told me she was sorry for leaving and wanted to stop going to school altogether... 

Anyways... I don't know how to help her since she wants to go to school but doesn't want to do the lesson. But if she doesn't do the lesson her timetable will be messed up so she's even more stressed about that... I keep reassuring her but I don't know how to make school better for her... 

Any help, advice, ideas is very much appreciated. I'm sorry for ranting on. Thanks x

Parents
  • sorry I have to ask. what is the project she dislikes so much? What is it on? It might not just be the teachers, it might be the content of the project to?

• We've figured out that last week everything changed.... 

She has 5 teachers and they are all doing different thing and has in 9 times a week so it's a lot of change. The main problems are: 2 teachers do models where they are building/making an ancient roundhouse and she has it planned but they kept changing it. She is now deciding she isn't going to bother because of this since it's stressful so she has nothing to do in the lesson because she agreed she'll make it at home. 

The other problem is: another teacher is doing history of food and making it, but my daughter had her as a cover teacher last week and she did everything differently which stressed her out and upset her. So in her mind, she told me, 'What's the point in doing the history on food if I'm not going to cook it.' She has made the choice that whenever she has these lessons, she will not participate because 'What's the point.' 

I'm not quite sure how to help her since now she is bored but today teachers gave her a word search to do based on the lesson... 

• She's a bit bright - they talk about building something and she's probably got it all worked out in her head in seconds - the plan is sorted and she knows what to do - and then they change the remit - so all the stuff she has in her mind is pointless.    Rinse & repeat.

She sounds very black & white - she does not allow any sloppiness from professionals - she's measuring them and judging them and finding them as wanting.   This is quite common.   

She needs to find teachers / friends on her level - they need to have something interesting to add to her mind or she'll kick them to the side of the road.   She will probably enjoy listening to experts in whatever field she's interested in - a sort of data feast.

What is she into?

I'm into AgentJayZ on youtube - clearly Asperger's guy talking about jet engines

• She's a bit bright - they talk about building something and she's probably got it all worked out in her head in seconds - the plan is sorted and she knows what to do - and then they change the remit - so all the stuff she has in her mind is pointless.    Rinse & repeat.

She sounds very black & white - she does not allow any sloppiness from professionals - she's measuring them and judging them and finding them as wanting.   This is quite common.   

She needs to find teachers / friends on her level - they need to have something interesting to add to her mind or she'll kick them to the side of the road.   She will probably enjoy listening to experts in whatever field she's interested in - a sort of data feast.

What is she into?

I'm into AgentJayZ on youtube - clearly Asperger's guy talking about jet engines

Children