Autistic shutdown or depression?

Hello, I'm new here and would really appreciate some help or advice.  My daughter is 15 and we've just started the process of diagnosis for ASD.  Over the years when she has struggled to cope with life she has had chronic tummy problems, pulled her hair and cut herself. She is currently controlling those urges but has recently displayed new behaviour which I have not seen before.  As she finds it hard to be around many people, lockdown suited her fine and the return to school has been overwhelming.  In the last few days, once home she has become very upset (sobbing, hitting herself, saying she can't go on) and then going into a trance-like state where she is unable to speak and barely move, after which she is exhausted, even the next day. Up until today she has made it into school, but this morning she managed to get up and dressed then stood at the top of the stairs, weeping and looking almost asleep, so I told her to go back to bed and she has been sleeping ever since.  Obviously as a parent it is very distressing to see your child so unhappy, but also this new "shutting down" behaviour is quite frightening.  Afterwards she said she could hear me but it was kind of muffled and far away.  I am at a loss to know what to do and how to help her. I am waiting for a call from the SENCO at her school to see what they can suggest to help her, but in the meantime I am concerned she is retreating inside herself more and more. I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

Parents
  • You have to be careful about her diet, because if she's having digestive issues, that might cause anxiety and depression. I cannot eat gluten because that'll cause my body to not function properly, but she might have different types of intolerances and allergies, so get those things sorted out. This is so important, because anything that causes digestive issues, can disrupt the entire body. 

Also, if she is getting upset after she gets back from school, and reacting very intensely, afterwards the body might get suddenly tired and drained, and maybe that's why she goes into a trance-like state where things are muffled and she can barely speak and move, the body could be exhausted from the intense reactions she displayed earlier, and you were right to let her sleep in longer.

• Thank you. I think she is now in a depressed state. (I've suffered from it myself so recognize the symptoms). The doctor is doing me a letter for school. I think it will be a while before she returns. Just taking one day at a time, gently doing what she can.

I will bear your comments in mind. Thanks for responding, it really does help.

• Thank you. I think she is now in a depressed state. (I've suffered from it myself so recognize the symptoms). The doctor is doing me a letter for school. I think it will be a while before she returns. Just taking one day at a time, gently doing what she can.

I will bear your comments in mind. Thanks for responding, it really does help.

Children
No Data