Childhood Apraxia of Speech

My grandson is three years old.  I think he may have CAS.  He may also show some signs of autism, but nothing too obvious at this stage.  I probably notice because I have an autism diagnosis.  Anyhow it's CAS I'm querying on this post.

It's a really difficult situation as I don't want to be the one to tell my daughter, and would prefer this to come from pre-school or school, or his doctor, but equally I want things to get moving so he gets the help he needs.  I'll toy with that situation.  

My main reason for the post is whether anyone can offer advice to me in the interim.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has grown up with CAS, or has a child with CAS, who could provide some tips on what I can be doing to help him.  I'd also appreciate any help in identifying it from Dysarthria or Severe Phonological Disorder, but from what I've read and observed in him, I think it's CAS.

Online and on YouTube all I can ever find is information and examples from the USA.  I've searched CAS via the NHS online help, and it doesn't even appear as a condition.  There's Dyspraxia, but not specifically relating to speech.  Could it go under another name in the UK?

Are there any support groups or forums out there in the Uk, because I'm struggling to find anything?

Thank you.

Parents
  • I know this is an older post but hopefully I can help.

Childhood apraxia of speech is indeed an American term, in the UK Its referred to as verbal dyspraxia, often developmental verbal dyspraxia (DVD). There is a few Facebook pages that are great for advice/raising awareness of verbal dyspraxia that you can search for and mickey's wish is a good one too. 

Unfortunately the awareness of verbal dyspraxia in the UK isn't great, which may be why you struggled to find advice

• Thanks for your reply. I did establish this myself. I haven't been on here for a while, hence my late thanks.

Are there any studies that suggest a link between autism and dvd?

Reply Children
No Data