Frustrated with Daughters school/LA

Since the age of 3 years we have been aware our daughter might be on the spectrum.  After a lengthy journey she was finally given a 'working' diagnosis of Autism at the end of last year at 7 years of age.  Working due to being assessed online, due to covid she has yet to be seen by the consultant at the hospital to complete the full assessment. 

We like most people have a back story, have moved her to different nurseries etc. She has had a significant speech delay, cognitive impairments where she is struggling academically, she is probably around the age of 5 years intellectually.  She is now 7 years old and attending mainstream school, a lovely community based school in our town.  Our eldest also goes and loves it.  She is very welcomed there, the staff do their best to assist her but I am getting increasingly frustrated with the lack of support she receives.  She has a PSA she shares with another boy (which causes her a lot of problems) and requires constant assistance with most academic activities.  She struggles in class, she struggles socially to create friendships and has sensory issues as well. 

She has seen the SLT for the past few years, she has been wonderful but we only see her once a month, maybe twice if lucky.  We have had many MAP meetings over the last few years which have had varying levels of success, it has been hard without a diagnosis.  The LA educational psychologist is beyond useless, she has never ONCE contributed to any of the meetings, she just lets the head teacher ramble on and placate us on how well she is doing and how everything is in place...it's not.  

We learn't during last years lockdown (in Scotland from March to August) my OH and I brought her on so much, especially with her comprehension, maths, basic cvc words and had her writing her name within a week.  On return to school we had another MAP meeting where I told them how we independently researched all the visual tools we were using to help her, how colourful semantics was helping her read etc. and nothing was done (again!) to ensure this was replicated in School.  We also asked for a phased return to help her adjust so she was coming home 2 afternoons a week which was definitely what she needed to decompress.  By October the head was persuading us to put her back in full time, that she was doing great!! By the time we got to December she was exhausted, frustrated and did not want to be in school. 

So here we are again in another lockdown and we are realising her learning is still not any further on, we were not expecting miracles but some progress! None of the tools have been implemented that we used at home.  I feel very angry that her confidence and self esteem are being ruined by not having her work adapted for her and could end up causing her much more distress as she is already saying she is stupid and her brain cant do it, many meltdowns and shutdowns are taking place right now. 

My questions...

who home schools their children, if so what were your reasons and how are you finding it? 

Does anyone flexi school their children? 

Do I have any course for complaint? I read an earlier post where their child receives full 1-1 support and twice weekly SLT which the parent seriously fought for...I would just LOVE this for her.  

She is a wonderful joyful child, she has great potential if the right support was in place!! 

Parents
  • Dear NAS70960,

I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling to get the right support in place at school for your daughter.  I am sure that there are members of the Community who will respond with their experiences and advice, but in the meantime you might like to look at the information on our website about education issues.

More specifically you might find this page about homeschooling in Scotland of interest.  There is a link on that page to our Education Rights Service which you might like to consider contacting for more information.

Our Parent to Parent Support Helpline might also be of interest to provide you with support.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Dear NAS70960,

I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling to get the right support in place at school for your daughter.  I am sure that there are members of the Community who will respond with their experiences and advice, but in the meantime you might like to look at the information on our website about education issues.

More specifically you might find this page about homeschooling in Scotland of interest.  There is a link on that page to our Education Rights Service which you might like to consider contacting for more information.

Our Parent to Parent Support Helpline might also be of interest to provide you with support.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

Children
No Data