Asperger's teenage son

Hi

I have a 16 year old son who has been recently diagnosed with Asperger's.  Sometimes he does things that really worry me, this morning he went out on his bike at 5.30am to watch the sunrise.

It took him around 1 hour to cycle into town, it was pitch black and I'm not sure if he is aware of the dangers.

Am I just being over protective?

• i was like that never in the house i used to get up to all sorts of things. Took mu dads boat onto a lake went to an island and tries to stay there. The Goats said NO !   it was called goat island LOL.

i have climbed onto roofs  water towers trees  went down caves and walked an entire river when it was friozem. 

He was like me very very driven. 

i once went on an adventure whereby I would walk 100 miles cross country without using roads ---- so i had to stick to fields. I did the entire thing at night and scared the army where alerted thinking there was a terrorist attack ---- i was caught because i kept going 

i also  hitch hiked  up and down England  using lorry drivers ( i was 15 ) sleeping rough everywhere.. My mum thought i was on a package holiday with my friends. I made back ok ---- I remember swimming across the Avon when in Stratford upon Avon.

now when i think back i was very lucky ! 

i was approached many times by many dodgy people but i always got away.  I had no idea of the danger just like u said. 

i would make some basic rules ----  

1 leave a note saying where he has gone to and when he'll be back.

2. ask him to plan more and go over his plans with you 

3. get him a friend so he has at least a sidekick. Doubles his safety. 

4. add rules that make you feel comfortable

5. explain that you get very worried about his adventures and can we please organise them in a safer way

6.  get him a mobile phone so u can locate him 

no you are right to worry,,,,, things are so different now eg many people drive cars like crazy speeds on the roads and have no care for anyone.

if he didnt have lights the police could have lifted him ---- ( maybe that would be a good thing )

I am still kinda fearless. 

• Hi 

I’ve not been formally diagnosed but highly likely to have aspergers and this is also something I enjoy doing. However I don’t cycle and walk to a bench where I have a good view of the sunrise.
    Maybe have a chat with him about the dangers and what he could to limit dangers. Is there somewhere else closer to home he can go and sit? Anytime anyone tried to stop it made me more anxious as it is something I really enjoy doing and I enjoy the quietness of being alone and the tranquility of the sunrise.