8year old son possible autism. Rubiks cube obsession

Hi this is our first post just looking to get some advice or tips to help with obsessive behaviour. My sons current obsession is rubiks cubes. He knows everything about them and can solve all different cubes in seconds. I am just wondering if anyone else has found obsessions with their kids and how you get around it? We have just started having cube free time but he really struggles with this. He can't be away from the cubes it has to be a constant thing all day long. This isn't the first obsession he has had but this time things seem alot harder to get him off the subject. Any advice or tips welcome on how to help in anyway. We are still waiting on his autism assessment to he completed but because of covid its pushed back again.

Thanks 

Parents
  • Interesting! I was also obsessed with the Rubik Cube when it first came out in the 70's, actually I wasn't generally good at maths or into puzzles - I wasn't naturally able to solve the Rubik Cube but I bought a little pamphlet which contained a step by step method and quickly managed to memorise it enabling me to finish all the sides in about 30 seconds. I can't tell you how much this impressed my parents at the time! All the points made by Plastic are spot on, the cube and similar puzzles are good stimming toys are definitely soothing and stress relieving and should be encouraged as much as possible. Your son sounds like a genius, good luck with the diagnosis. 

• Interesting! I was also obsessed with the Rubik Cube when it first came out in the 70's, actually I wasn't generally good at maths or into puzzles - I wasn't naturally able to solve the Rubik Cube but I bought a little pamphlet which contained a step by step method and quickly managed to memorise it enabling me to finish all the sides in about 30 seconds. I can't tell you how much this impressed my parents at the time! All the points made by Plastic are spot on, the cube and similar puzzles are good stimming toys are definitely soothing and stress relieving and should be encouraged as much as possible. Your son sounds like a genius, good luck with the diagnosis. 

Children
No Data