Could my son be autistic?

So me and my partner have recently noticed several things about our son (21months old) and are just looking for other parents opinions or general help from their experience.  

The most two obvious things we noticed is he doesn't respond to his name . However will respond if we say chocolate or something else he likes, but very rarely to his own name . His speech seems to have got worse over the last 4/ months aswell . The words he learnt mknths ago we cant get him to say alot of them anymore.  

I guess really we are just looking for any advice or past experiences to compare with. Are we doing the right thing when he doesn't respond to his name and we keep saying it over and over ? Should we seek help from the doctor?  

Any reply would be greatly appreciated . 

Thankyou 

Parents
  • I would get an appointment straight away as the process is so lengthy and early intervention can make a big difference for speech and language regardless of an autistic diagnosis or not.   

• Hi 

I would ask your doctor and your health visitor for advice. If they attend a nursery i would also ask their advice too. I would also write down a list of how you feel they have autistic tendencies.

My daughter is nearly 10 and we still haven't got an official diagnosis of ASD. Both the school and i have highlighted the issue and she is now in the process of getting a referral. Looking back, I wish i had gone to the doctor sooner and said more to the school as there were signs many years ago - poor social communication,  limited eye contact, dislike of change, sensory issues etc which i had highlighted earlier, but somehow it got ignored as my daughter is quite bright academically. Now i feel if we had a official diagnosis of her autism, i would have had more understanding, help and support with her issues. Please try to go with your gut feeling and say that you feel there concerns with your son and you would like to have a referral etc. 

• Hi 

I would ask your doctor and your health visitor for advice. If they attend a nursery i would also ask their advice too. I would also write down a list of how you feel they have autistic tendencies.

My daughter is nearly 10 and we still haven't got an official diagnosis of ASD. Both the school and i have highlighted the issue and she is now in the process of getting a referral. Looking back, I wish i had gone to the doctor sooner and said more to the school as there were signs many years ago - poor social communication,  limited eye contact, dislike of change, sensory issues etc which i had highlighted earlier, but somehow it got ignored as my daughter is quite bright academically. Now i feel if we had a official diagnosis of her autism, i would have had more understanding, help and support with her issues. Please try to go with your gut feeling and say that you feel there concerns with your son and you would like to have a referral etc. 

Children
No Data