Awaiting Diagnosis

Hi anyone and everyone.

I'd just like to ask a fairly open question.

So I'm awaiting a diagnosis for Autism for my child. I'd just like to ask, if we get a diagnosis what happens then?

Literally not sure on a next move as I definitely need help knowing how to cope, how to manage, I don't even know if people get medication for Autism? My child will be a young adult soon and at the moment we are being pushed from pillar to post for answers and help. 

The difficulty is I know they won't be able to go to college or work right now but no one seems to be offering anything but numbers for support groups etc. How can that even happen if my child doesn't even like talking to people let alone go out into the world of education or work.

I'm just a bit bewildered at what happens next?

Thanks in advance.

• Thank you. I have a million and one questions but without flooding the entire board with questions it's quite difficult.

• Hi there! 

It's a difficult time for you, I remember it well. My son was diagnosed at 3 and is now 9. There should be plenty of help available to you although I do agree it's hard to find. Once you have an official diagnosis, your child should have direct access to educational physcologist, speech therapist and occupational therapist if required and also social work who can advise you of any help you are entitled to whether that be financially or emotionally, so you should hopefully by that point have resources to help you and your child.. There are far more opportunities these days for our little ones and many colleges do offer programs for additional support needs so please dont feel disheartened.

• Hi LongProcess,

You might want to have a look at the advice page here on the site called After Diagnosis - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children/recently-diagnosed.aspx - which goes through some of the questions you might have following an ASD diagnosis for your child, and offers advice on financial support and benefits, social care, extra help at school, and talking to your child about their diagnosis. There are also links at the bottom of that page to our autism helpline and family support services if you're interested. If you would like to know more about the diagnosis process itself, you can find that on this page - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children.aspx - which takes you through the ASD assessment and what to expect on the day.

Hope this is of some help to you,

Best wishes,
    Ross - mod