Anorexia and ASD

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me? My daughter was diagnosed with anorexia and the Eating Disorder Team are advising us to go private and her assessed for ASD. She is not responding to any therapy so far and has also refused CBT therapy. She has depression and anxiety and OCD traits. Although we have managed to get her weight restored, there remains strong anorexic behaviours around food.

I am just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar? Or has a child with ASD and anorexia. 
Thanks 

Parents
  • I am in my thirties, autistic and female.

I identify with almost everything TBC and fisharefriends said. 

I have experienced 2 separate experiences of restrictive and avoidant food disorder (a term that more readily fits with my presentation as opposed to anorexia) the first lasting 10 years and the second just 2. The triggers underlying mine were: desire to fit in and be accepted  (everyone was on a diet and trying to be thin) high levels of (at the time unidentified) anxiety, grief that I wasn't able to express verbally. 

My difficulties with food also have a sensory element to them.... When highly anxious my tactile system becomes really sensitive (in the past I have shaved off all my hair because I couldn't tolerate the feel of it). Tolerance to different textures of food as well as OCD is what restricted the food I would eat. 

I didn't know at the time I was autistic, I was diagnosed only a few years ago. The diagnostic experience was difficult but ultimately has given me greater insight. This site has definitely been a huge source of support throughout.

For me I have found it helpful to do the things that help regulate my nervous system... Like drawing. Now that I am a healthy weight I also cycle and swim and run which helps with my anxiety (although at the time of my WD these did also become obsessions). I have also found yoga hugely beneficial for developing a more healthy sense of caring for my body and developing my ability to identify and release tension. The mind and body are so connected that it makes sense that once I learnt to relax my body it also helped my mind. I know for people that are very underweight they may not be able to do yoga or exercise. 

Hope you have found something of use in our responses and I wish you and your daughter all the best. Please post any other questions you may have as things progress..... there are always people here to offer support and whatever they can to help. 

• I have a 16 year old daughter .  Diagnosed with an eating disorder last July and awaiting an autism assessment.  She won’t engage in any therapy (says it doesn’t help ) she’s extremely anxious all of the time and the last few months here have been really tough . Don’t know if we can private message at all but here to chat if you need to mo .  Totally get we’re you’re at x

• I have a 16 year old daughter .  Diagnosed with an eating disorder last July and awaiting an autism assessment.  She won’t engage in any therapy (says it doesn’t help ) she’s extremely anxious all of the time and the last few months here have been really tough . Don’t know if we can private message at all but here to chat if you need to mo .  Totally get we’re you’re at x

Children
No Data