Anorexia and ASD

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me? My daughter was diagnosed with anorexia and the Eating Disorder Team are advising us to go private and her assessed for ASD. She is not responding to any therapy so far and has also refused CBT therapy. She has depression and anxiety and OCD traits. Although we have managed to get her weight restored, there remains strong anorexic behaviours around food.

I am just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar? Or has a child with ASD and anorexia. 
Thanks 

Parents
  • Hi My son has anorexia and has recently been diagnosed with ASD. He suffers with anxiety which can make him eat less, but we are working through it. One of the things that helps is to let him know what may happen before an event / situation so he can cope with it when it arrives. We have also been learning about how to let him sit with his anxiety as opposed to taking it away, this is so difficult to do. The thing that has been the best for us is Family therapy which usually doesn't involve our son but he is then told what the plan is for the next week or few weeks ahead. He is quite rigid in his thinking and will try to restrict but we are now aware and have told him this is a problem and so work towards being flexible, working with him and being very honest. 

I hope this helps you in some way 

• Hi My son has anorexia and has recently been diagnosed with ASD. He suffers with anxiety which can make him eat less, but we are working through it. One of the things that helps is to let him know what may happen before an event / situation so he can cope with it when it arrives. We have also been learning about how to let him sit with his anxiety as opposed to taking it away, this is so difficult to do. The thing that has been the best for us is Family therapy which usually doesn't involve our son but he is then told what the plan is for the next week or few weeks ahead. He is quite rigid in his thinking and will try to restrict but we are now aware and have told him this is a problem and so work towards being flexible, working with him and being very honest. 

I hope this helps you in some way 

Children
No Data