Aspergers 6 year old

Hi Everyone 

We are currently going through the process of getting our son diagnosed with Aspergers.  Today my son came home from school with numerous holes in his top.  I asked him what they were from and he said he had pushed a pencil through his top. I asked why he did it and he said it’s because he was feeling ‘fiddly’ today.  This isn’t the first time, he doesn’t show much care or respect for his possessions and will often break things, without really seeming to think about it.  If we ask him to stop, his desire to destroy, pick, break thing overrides everything, even though he knows it’s wrong.

Firstly, is this quite a common trait?  Secondly, does anyone have any advice to help him when he’s feeling ‘fiddly’ at school and also how we can help him reduce the destructive behaviour?

This is all very new to us and we feel we are on a real learning curve, so any tips or advice would be very much appreciated. TIA

Parents
  • It is self stimulating behaviour. As he is undergoing assessment make a note o it in a diary and mention it to the doctors. At school ask for a meeting with the Senco and ask her to refer him to the Occupational Therapist. It is their job to recommend a sensory activity that would be more acceptable. Ask the same from the Paediatrician.Plastic's advice is brilliant.

• It is self stimulating behaviour. As he is undergoing assessment make a note o it in a diary and mention it to the doctors. At school ask for a meeting with the Senco and ask her to refer him to the Occupational Therapist. It is their job to recommend a sensory activity that would be more acceptable. Ask the same from the Paediatrician.Plastic's advice is brilliant.

Children
No Data