Explaining diagnosis to a child

Hi all. My son will be 9 next month. Nearly a year ago he was diagnosed with aspergers and dyspraxia. He has just started to ask questions about why he gets extra help at school and his friends don’t. I’m just wondering how best to explain it to him in a way he’ll understand. I did try to talk to him about it after the diagnosis but he changed the subject and didn’t ask again. Neither condition has been explained in any great detail to us and I’ve found a lot out from the internet. Thanks

• Hi NA S67847.

There is a link that I have listed below that may be able to help you broaching the subject with your son and then some more info for you to read that may be able to help if you haven't already found it out...

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/broaching.aspx

You may like to read our general information about autism:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/autism-and-asperger-syndrome-an-introduction/what-is-autism.aspx

You may also want to look at our section that provides advice for parents, relatives and carers of people with autism.

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/family-life.aspx

You may find the following page our website useful:https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children/recently-diagnosed.aspx

Post-diagnosis can be a very nervous time for any parent, but we're here to help you. In this link you can find information on the effects on your family, getting some practical support as well as telling your child about their diagnosis.

If you have any other questions, or wanted some advice, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team. They can provide you with information and advice on your issue. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor

I hope you find this useful.

Best Wishes

Lorraine Mod

• Honestly you are over think it. You need to start by asking them do they know what autism and dyspraxia is ? find out how much they know themselves of what autism and dyspraxia are and what they have been told by others about what it so you can correct it if it hasn't been explained properly.

you can explain it like this and encourage him to ask questions or turn it into a social story or take the effort to turn it to picture book.

" there are many different people in this world and every single person is different and unique in their own way. from a persons physical appearance to how a person observes, looks and understands the world. autism/asperges  is extraordinary occurrence where an individual is born with a brain that enables them to looks at the world in another way. it not wrong or bad that their brains functions and process information in this way. it is remarkable, yet confusing to others."

"autism/Asperger's makes you incredible, because it will enable you to understand and learn thing that truly interest you and give you understanding and knowledge to achieve wonderful things throughout life." 

" because the way you understand the world their are going to be challenges, so many challenges for you to overcome. you are going to brilliantly and bravely learn and overcome these challenges to understand and how navigate this wonderfully confusing world that isn't designed for the way you think. This world isn't designed for people with autism/asperges but they need people like you to help make this world a better place to live."

"because autism/asperges gives you advantages and potential other do not understand. because the way you think makes understanding people difficult and make it difficult for others to understand you. this means you may be surrounded by many people at times who do not understand what make you different is what makes you brilliant and this may make others uncomfortable and mean towards you," 

"because you see the world wonderfully differently you need a little help and support to understand what you need to do and for other to understand you a bit better."

• "because autism/asperges gives you advantages and potential other do not understand. because the way you think makes understanding people difficult and make it difficult for others to understand you. this means you may be surrounded by many people at times who do not understand what make you different is what makes you brilliant and this may make others uncomfortable and mean towards you," 

^^^^^^

I believe this - if you look at every advancement in human history, there's almost certainly an aspie/autie behind it who didn't understand why people were afraid to think differently and try something.