newly diagnosed ASD son doesnt accept diagnosis & is slowly withdrawing

He's 16 but doesn't think the Drs have got it right. Its my fault because of the info I gave the Drs apparently. won't read any books, doesn't want counselling and doesn't even want his younger sister to know.

he has established a good home routine during lockdown, but has had hardly any sort of conversation with anyone outside the family. He doesn't want to meet up or do video calls because they are "not normal " & he only wants to do things normally, ( i.e.pre lockdown conditions )on his own terms. ( sound familiar?!) emerges from his room for meals only.

i appreciate that this is a rough time for all teens, autistic or not, But I am getting concerned about him. any advice about either issue appreciated, thanks.

Parents
  • Hi, my child of around the same age was the same. They have since become more comfortable and told a few friends.

My only advice would be to be patient, give him space and time to process things and try not to force anything on him.

We talked about positive aspects, famous people who are autistic, tried to normalise it. It is really tough, I hope it gets better.

• Guy Martin springs to mind. 

Im a bit like him - I can do anything I decide to do. Except social. 

Any discipline at all - I can become an expert within days and weeks. IF I decide to. 

Hence - I am a polymath - which means I am highly skilled in many subjects and disciplines. 

I cant tell people about my abilities because folk think I’m trying to blow my own trumpet. They’re judging on their own values not ASD values

When I was a teen - I was useless at disciplines. All the NTs in our group were always great at stuff but I was useless. Now they’re all overweight and unhealthy. 

• Guy Martin springs to mind. 

Im a bit like him - I can do anything I decide to do. Except social. 

Any discipline at all - I can become an expert within days and weeks. IF I decide to. 

Hence - I am a polymath - which means I am highly skilled in many subjects and disciplines. 

I cant tell people about my abilities because folk think I’m trying to blow my own trumpet. They’re judging on their own values not ASD values

When I was a teen - I was useless at disciplines. All the NTs in our group were always great at stuff but I was useless. Now they’re all overweight and unhealthy. 

Children
No Data