newly diagnosed ASD son doesnt accept diagnosis & is slowly withdrawing

He's 16 but doesn't think the Drs have got it right. Its my fault because of the info I gave the Drs apparently. won't read any books, doesn't want counselling and doesn't even want his younger sister to know.

he has established a good home routine during lockdown, but has had hardly any sort of conversation with anyone outside the family. He doesn't want to meet up or do video calls because they are "not normal " & he only wants to do things normally, ( i.e.pre lockdown conditions )on his own terms. ( sound familiar?!) emerges from his room for meals only.

i appreciate that this is a rough time for all teens, autistic or not, But I am getting concerned about him. any advice about either issue appreciated, thanks.

Parents
  • If he’s like me he’ll find zoom calls particularly painful stressful and utterly hideous. 

I’m still grieving after my diagnosis after two years. It’s more painful and harder to get through than the death of my mum & dad. So that gives an idea of what he may be going through. 

I too won’t waste time with the so so-called medical professionals. They are mostly clueless with neuroscience stuff. Unless they understand how reality really works. Like how they perceive reality. Very few NT professional truly know how the mind works. But plenty of autists do know. So going to talk things through with a quak is like an elephant (me) trying to be told by an ant (them). It’s like Isaac Newton going to learn adding and subtracting - lol.... Utterly futile. 

• If he’s like me he’ll find zoom calls particularly painful stressful and utterly hideous. 

I’m still grieving after my diagnosis after two years. It’s more painful and harder to get through than the death of my mum & dad. So that gives an idea of what he may be going through. 

I too won’t waste time with the so so-called medical professionals. They are mostly clueless with neuroscience stuff. Unless they understand how reality really works. Like how they perceive reality. Very few NT professional truly know how the mind works. But plenty of autists do know. So going to talk things through with a quak is like an elephant (me) trying to be told by an ant (them). It’s like Isaac Newton going to learn adding and subtracting - lol.... Utterly futile. 

Children
No Data