Fear of school

Hi,

My 16 year old autistic daughter is terrified of having to go back into a school environment. She wants to study A Levels in September, but her two options (current school or local sixth form college) both fill her with dread. At the moment she cannot envisage being able to physically walk in the doors of either place, and neither is going to be able to run their usual transition events this summer, due to the pandemic. What are her options? What if she refuses to go? She doesn't have an EHCP as she is academically able, but she really struggles with the social and practical side of travelling to school/college and talking to people when she's there. Could she study for A Levels at home if she needs to? Would a school/college support her in this? Would she still be able to sit exams at the end of the course? She currently spends a lot of time worrying and crying about this. 

• First of all - noone can force her to do anything. If she doesn't want to go because she's scared of catching the covid 19, it is her human right to say no.

My son is starting college again in September and I do worry that when September comes he won't want to go because at the moment he's scared to go out and meet up with friends.

What I'm starting to do is go with him to meet up with a friend tomorrow. He's a bit anxious about this and has already said that he may want to do this once or twice a month!!!!! I've said to him to let's just see how tomorrow goes and take it from there! He will probably decide he wants to meet up with his friends more after tomorrow. That's how it's always been with him, it takes ages to persuade to do anything but once he does then he's ok Slight smile

My son has never had an EHCP because he slipped through the net. Have you tried ringing the college and school and letting them know how your daughter feels at the moment? They may be able to give some good advice and tips Slight smile Maybe ask them as well if there's any tasks that she could work on before she starts in September. This may help. My son has been given extra tasks to do, though he's not started them yet! It doesn't matter as it's only extra activities to do, but it would be really good if he could do them before September.

Has she got a friend who is going to be there in September? maybe you could get your daughter to meet up and it may ease her worry and anxiety a bit. Hope this helps!

• Sorry I can't really give advice on this but I experienced similar feelings in my last 2 years of school. I was very, very close to leaving but I'm so glad that I stayed on and managed to complete my subjects. I think a lot of people feel the same way although they may not show it, although it seems like it is affecting your daughter to a greater extent. It is never as bad as it seems