10 year old refusing to go outside due to bugs

HI guys, I'm new to the NAS, my son has ASD and ADHD.  He recently had an encounter with a wasp in his trampoline that freaked him out and is now terrified to go outside in case a fly or wasp comes near him, he's even refused to pick up stones (which he used to love collecting) in case there was a bug on it.  IT hasn't helped at a mozzie seems to have taken a liking to him and his thigh is covered in bites.  Any advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated, my husband and I just don't know how to handle this new development.

We had just got him coming outside with me more and off his devises but this has set him back a long way :( 

Parents
  • Maybe you could gradually introduce him to bugs? For example, you could research bugs online (e.g. as a homeschooling activity), or you could buy him a book about bugs. It might help if you can get him used to seeing and thinking about bugs. You could then try things like catching a bug and putting it into a secure container (e.g. a lunchbox) for him to come and look at, with the knowledge that it can't get out and come near him. Once he starts getting used to seeing bugs, you could then see if you can gradually reintroduce him to going outside.

When it comes to going outside, it might be helpful to have a reason to do that (e.g. maybe there's something out there that would interest him, like playing with a toy, planting seeds, or interacting with a pet). Try not to make it too much of a big deal when he does go outside - just treat it as something normal.

It might also be worth getting in touch with CAMHS for advice and support on phobias. There's a technique called exposure therapy that can be particularly helpful (I've touched on elements of it in this response), but it's best to do that with the support of a professional.

• Maybe you could gradually introduce him to bugs? For example, you could research bugs online (e.g. as a homeschooling activity), or you could buy him a book about bugs. It might help if you can get him used to seeing and thinking about bugs. You could then try things like catching a bug and putting it into a secure container (e.g. a lunchbox) for him to come and look at, with the knowledge that it can't get out and come near him. Once he starts getting used to seeing bugs, you could then see if you can gradually reintroduce him to going outside.

When it comes to going outside, it might be helpful to have a reason to do that (e.g. maybe there's something out there that would interest him, like playing with a toy, planting seeds, or interacting with a pet). Try not to make it too much of a big deal when he does go outside - just treat it as something normal.

It might also be worth getting in touch with CAMHS for advice and support on phobias. There's a technique called exposure therapy that can be particularly helpful (I've touched on elements of it in this response), but it's best to do that with the support of a professional.

Children
No Data