Coronavirus and schools

My autistic son (8) has an EHCP with full time 1:1 which according to government policy means he can continue to go to school.  I'm a single parent who works at home already, but for him, this will mean the difference between learning and not learning much at all as he has a very strong sense that 'school only happens at school', and fiercely resists any attempt to introduce 'home learning' for instance.  It will also mean the difference between him having some social contact and none, as having Asperger's myself, I'm socially isolated to the extent that I don't know any other parents who I could ask to swap playdates or even actual childcare with (and they probably couldn't cope with him for any length of time anyway).  It will also mean that I can continue to work as normal, whereas if he's at home I will get very little done, and other people are relying on me to continue with work.  My parents can't help out as they are both over 70 with underlying health issues and so self isolating. 

I got an email from the school on Friday afternoon to say that my application to have him continue to attend had been accepted, but then this morning after I'd dropped him off, saw a personal email to me from the head sent late last night putting on heavy pressure not to send him.

What are others doing, and what's the view of the community?

• Thanks Ross - after receiving a boll***ing from one of his TAs yesterday morning when I took him in, being told I was being selfish, taking advantage and risking everyone's health, it's gone quiet from the school and they seem to be welcoming him in.  Sadly, because not many other kids are there, he thought that they'd all died from coronavirus, but that's a different issue.

• Hi NAS66509,

If you feel your son has a right to stay in school under the current guidelines but that the school is putting pressure on you to have him not attend, you might want to consider getting in touch with our Education Rights Service - https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/education-rights.aspx - The ERS provides confidential advice and support via phone or email (email is probably a better bet at the moment), can help explain your legal rights and entitlements and support you in making a complaint or resolving differences you have with your child's school.

Hope this is of some help,

Ross - mod

• My sons have gone in. The primary school was a childcare environment but the secondary did do some formal learning. The government are clear that schools are open for children of key workers and those for whom school is safer than home.

That said, if my children do stay at home then my expectation of them doing any formal learning is slim to none.

You know what's best for your son but staying at home doesn't mean that you have to try to get him to learn. It just has to be safe.

• You mean the sudden change of trying to learn at home?  Or the sudden change of things being done differently at school?

• I've an EHCP and it is optional but as we've 6 in our house including me, I'd struggle to cope with sudden change