Supporting through social isolation

Hi everyone,

I'm Lydia - a first time poster. Hi!

So my brother is 29 and on the autistic spectrum. He lives at home with my mum. I live a couple of hours away but I am staying away at the moment for obvious reasons!

My brother really struggles with unstructured time - he quickly becomes agitated and generally isn't able to build a day for himself. He has a couple other things that mean he's classed as a particularly vulnerable person to corona which means he's no longer attending any of his activities that he'd usually go to (though I imagine they're probably all cancelled at this point anyway).

This means he's at home all the time with nothing but unstructured days ahead. It is very difficult to motivate him to do anything and lack lack of engagement will only get worse the longer he's at home, I know. Sooooo, I'm coming here looking for some advice. Does anyone else have any ideas for keeping autistic people engaged and motivated during this time?

My mum is feeling quite panicked about what she's going to do, and I'm not really sure what to suggest so if anyone has any ideas/ has found things that work please let me know. If I come up with anything that works for my brother I'll post it here too - I can't imagine I'm the only person with this particular concern.

Thanks everyone Slight smile

Parents
  • Hi Lydia, welcome! Does your brother have any interests or hobbies that he returns to that he finds engaging? Now might be a good time to increase the amount of time spent on these. I'm not sure what these kinds of activities might be, but for example if he has a particular interest in a topic, there may be Youtube videos available, similarly for arts and crafts such as drawing, painting, or other things he may enjoy.

• Hi Lydia, welcome! Does your brother have any interests or hobbies that he returns to that he finds engaging? Now might be a good time to increase the amount of time spent on these. I'm not sure what these kinds of activities might be, but for example if he has a particular interest in a topic, there may be Youtube videos available, similarly for arts and crafts such as drawing, painting, or other things he may enjoy.

Children
No Data