Desperation Station!

Hi. I’m not really sure where to start so here goes........ I am a mum of a now 16 year old son who was diagnosed ASD when he was 12 having gone through years of battles, appointments, paediatricians etc etc etc. He stopped attending school when he was 12 years having been excluded 3 times (twice from the Junior School and once from the secondary school he attended).   After further battles I managed to get him an EHCP and a place at a school with an autism resource centre which he still struggled to attend, even with some amazing support and encouragement.  Even without attending school and having massive gaps in his education he sat his maths GCSE and gained a Grade 5. He has now started an Inclusion Pathways Course at college which he was extremely keen to do and had an amazing start for the first half term, attending everyday of his course - he has a three day week, which really suited him at first but then disaster hit the half term holiday in October and he has not really attended since for any length of time - the odd half day here and there. Everyday/ every week is always going to be a better one but the time comes and he just cannot do it, cannot get up, doesn’t want to go, doesn’t like that day or that lesson. I’m just at a loss as to what to say or do to help him? The problem is there is so much more as he can become aggressive/angry/violent. All he wants to do is sit in his room by himself or just be in the house by himself.  I really don’t know what the future looks like for him and it really is making me worry not only for him but also for me and I’m not being selfish as I’m sure i can safely say that as parents we want to see our children grow up and succeed and be happy.  Unfortunately it seems that my son is intent on being depressed and alone. 

Sorry if i have rambled on but I’m getting to the end of my tether with what seems like constant battles. My son has so much potential I just can’t seem to be able to help him find his way.  Any suggestions as to where we could go from here?

Thank you for taking the time to read the above.

Parents Reply Children
No Data