Any advice welcome - I am new here.

Hi,

I have a beautiful 3.5 year old Son. He has his ADOS on Tuesday so currently not diagnosed.

I do not know what to call it  -  The best thing I can compare it to is an OCD. (I am sorry if this is not the correct language to use)

It is taking over our life and I do not know the best thing to do.

We live a 5 min walk to preschool. This walk can take us up to 20 mins. He has to point out every garden ornament. This is OK however the have to be done in the right order at the right time. If on the odd occasion he misses one, he will remember....we have to stop where we are, turn back and start all over again. He has now added berries, certain trees, different textured pavements to his list....it just keeps growing.

His preschool have picture boards outside, 7 to be exact and all 7 have different pictures on. for example one has different fruits on. We have to point these out in the correct order list each one.

My question is this - should I try and discourage this behaviour or is tis something he just has to do, so he can then cope with his day? There is no way I will be able to get him into preschool if this ritual is not carried out.

He does similar things in the house - I have to pour his drink in a certain way and follow him in to the front room (he has to run) I have to say the same phrase in the same tone of voice once he has sat on the sofa (in the same seat, with the same blanket evenly placed over him in the "right" way). If any part of this goes wrong - We have to start all over again....If I get it wrong on more than 2 occasions  the day is written off.

Bath time, bed time and when he gets up in the morning all have to be done "correctly" too.....

He has language delay / sensory processing difficulties / social difficulties but the above is our main struggle.

Many Thank for reading.   

Parents
  • That sounds very trying. My brother went through phases like this. Some lasted longer than others and some were more challenging (throwing literally every object he saw up in the air was a particularly aggravating one). They all passed eventually and were replaced by some new and interesting... let's say "quirk". Hope this one passes quickly for you.

• That sounds very trying. My brother went through phases like this. Some lasted longer than others and some were more challenging (throwing literally every object he saw up in the air was a particularly aggravating one). They all passed eventually and were replaced by some new and interesting... let's say "quirk". Hope this one passes quickly for you.

Children
No Data