How to help my daughter?

Hi Everyone,

im new here and glad I’ve found this forum as feeling alone and very much lost with helping my daughter.  She is 15, suffers with anxiety and depression and has shown many autistic traits for years.  She masked this at school and as a result Camhs decided to stop assessment for autism.  They have decided now to start again as now she isn’t coping with school, or life in general.  I’ve left work to support her,  I have no other help and couldn’t be there for her when she couldn’t manage school.  I’m public enemy number one when she has a meltdown and I’m struggling to know how to help her. while she appears “normal” to most people, home life is very different.  She can’t make a decision, she can’t voice her feelings, she can’t engage in talking therapies, she can’t listen to me because I make her worse especially during crisis, she can’t bear me to hug her or try and be supportive and I know she feels very alone.  I don’t know how to help her, her mental health is terrible, Camhs are addressing this but because she won’t talk there’s not much they can do apart from medication.  I would love to hear from others with teenagers in a similar position, Thankyou for reading :-) 

Parents
  • Hi , I am a parent of 16 year old daughter who was diagnosed with Asperger's this summer. She did very well at school until this summer. In September her anxieties and emotional well-being started to get worst and at start of October she stopped going to school. She fell into a deep depression.

She was taken under CAMHS but there was no therapy offered only medication.

We went the private route with therapy and she started the medication but her condition worsened further and she started to get heavy meltdowns and now became suicidal.  She tried her best to engage in the therapy and CAMHS decided two weeks ago she should start to get back to school which she tried. Going back to school and the realization that school resembles future plans worsened her condition even further.

She doesn’t see a future, she doesn’t feel she can fit in, so these social and academic pressures are aggravating the situation,The only solution she sees fit is to give up.

She is now being referred by CAMHS to be taken into inpatient unit which we would like to avoid but there doesn't seem any other support out there and the risk has become to high. 

She is longing find peer support , someone she can relate to that has gone through similar situation but we have not found any such service for young adolescents.

Sorry i cant provide you any other tips as we too are going through desperate situation..

• Hi , I am a parent of 16 year old daughter who was diagnosed with Asperger's this summer. She did very well at school until this summer. In September her anxieties and emotional well-being started to get worst and at start of October she stopped going to school. She fell into a deep depression.

She was taken under CAMHS but there was no therapy offered only medication.

We went the private route with therapy and she started the medication but her condition worsened further and she started to get heavy meltdowns and now became suicidal.  She tried her best to engage in the therapy and CAMHS decided two weeks ago she should start to get back to school which she tried. Going back to school and the realization that school resembles future plans worsened her condition even further.

She doesn’t see a future, she doesn’t feel she can fit in, so these social and academic pressures are aggravating the situation,The only solution she sees fit is to give up.

She is now being referred by CAMHS to be taken into inpatient unit which we would like to avoid but there doesn't seem any other support out there and the risk has become to high. 

She is longing find peer support , someone she can relate to that has gone through similar situation but we have not found any such service for young adolescents.

Sorry i cant provide you any other tips as we too are going through desperate situation..

Children
  • I’m sorry to hear that you and your daughter are going through this too.  It’s heart breaking to see them struggle isn’t it.  I wish we had a magic wand that could make them see their worth, how loved they are and how important they are in this world.  I hope you find help somewhere, there has to be a happy ending x