Feeling alone with everything

Hello everyone, I feel like I am alone, does anyone else have a child that is in complete denial about what is going on? Refuses to listen that he might possibly have high functioning autism, he is 12 hasn’t attended school for over a year due to severe anxiety and not coping socially, he has stopped going out the door, it just makes me so upset and sad when he says he is okay when I know deep down he is finding things hard, he struggles to talk about his emotions.

no one is helping him cope with his feelings 

• Hello Tillie

Following on from DuckBread's helpful post, you may find our Helpline or even our Parent to Parent service of some use to you ...Here is all the information you need....

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

You may like to contact our Parent to Parent service who offers emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism . 

You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. Please leave a message and the team will call you back as soon as possible at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. Alternatively you can use contact the team via web form: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/parent-to-parent/enquiry.aspx

I hope you find this helpful

Best wishes

Lorraine Mod

• I know it’s awful, I feel so sorry for him, thank you 

• It's awful how long waiting lists are (not blaming the NHS there - they're tragically under-funded). I hope you find the books helpful.

• Thank you for your message, no support for him yet, he is on a years waiting list despite him being on tier 3, I’ve got a couple of books on my list to get.

thanks 

• Hi, Tillie. I wasn't able to acknowledge that I might be autistic when I was in high school - I just wanted to fit in with the other kids, and that was something I really struggled with. 

Have you been able to get him some support with his mental health? Perhaps working on his anxiety would help him to be more open-minded about autism (e.g. if he's able to work on his self-esteem)?

I'd also recommend learning about autism and coping strategies yourself - you could subtly start exploring some support mechanisms/coping strategies without mentioning autism to him (e.g. if he finds loud places overwhelming, you could get him some noise cancelling headphones). Purple Ella (YouTube) has some great tips for coping strategies. You might also enjoy the book 'My son isn't Rainman', which is the account of a father learning how to support his autistic son.