Pip

Finally go my sons pip letter. Scored 0 points! Feel so upset. I worry so much about him and it has been a struggle. Obviously they believed the women at the pip assessment rather than me. Going to a special school, referred to mental health, but apparently all is ok. She even said he could phone me if he got lost, but he does not have a phone because he is secretive. She won him over, he chatted to her, and I kept correcting him as he will not acknowledge that he is autistic.

Looking at the way points are awarded, it really does not take autism into account. Seems to be aimed at physical disabilities more than autism. So as far as pip is concerned my son is an adult, even though I get child benefit up to August next year. Is he an adult or child? I now lose tax credits and DLA for him, so I have to get extra work and leave him at home alone. 

• Are you still seeking help.any update. I am in process for myself.

• The PIP assessor I had was less than sympathetic I felt, but I still managed to scrape enough points. You have to go over each category and really describe how your son's autism affects his day to day life. If he has any physical disabilities play those up as well.

I've attached a document which shows what to say in each category to gain the required number of points. In the end all they care about is that you get above the points threshold. They're just jobsworths and need to rubber stamp it. Frankly I can't for the life of me see what the difference between DLA and PIP is, but you have to jump through the hoops.

Good luck, and you can always appeal and get an advocate from the NAS or similar charity

the PDF download is to the right of the page

• Don't take this. Appeal, go to tribunal if you have to. My friend has cystic fibrosis, end life, terminal and has planned his funeral. They turned him down first. 

The people that do these assessments are idiots who have no training . We must appeal so the system is changed

• If you feel you meet the criteria and have independent evidence to back this up e.g copies of GP notes showing reasons for MH ref I suggest you appeal. Around 1/2 cases are overturned through the appeals process.

• That's a really horrible situation for you, have you spoken to Citizen's Advice about this? Here is a link to the main website, you can search for your local branch on the bottom right of the page. www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I believe they can help you with your situation, and perhaps an appeal. They are more qualified to give advice than me, but I have found them very useful for sorting out my situations in the past. 

I wish you the best of luck.